Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Reminder: All This Week the IPAA Oil and Gas Investment Symposium

The link is here.

To access the presentations, one must go to the specific corporate website.

A big thank you to a colleague who has been sending me the links to the presentations. As I get the links, I post them here. Over the next few weeks, I hope to point out a couple things from each presentation that jump out at me when I run through the slides.

What jumps out at me right now when I review the slides:
  • a) the multiple pay zones in the Williston Basin; and, 
  • b) the huge amount of CAPEX money that is going into a few counties in western North Dakota.
Just tonight, looking at two presentations, I happened to see two smaller players in the Bakken, both with $1 billion global CAPEX programs. One company plans to allocate about $250 million to the Bakken and the other $350 million to the Bakken. And as noted, these are not the major players in the Bakken. It is just very difficult to believe that this much money is flowing into western North Dakota.

On another note, for those of you concerned about the drop in the price of oil (with expectations that it will continue to drop), this winter many wells were "shut in" in North Dakota due to the weather. Oil was not being produced/transported/sold from almost 700 wells in January for some period of time. No matter how high oil was priced, if it isn't being produced, it isn't going to matter.

Now, with oil still above $100, and North Dakota oil being moved once again, royalty checks for mineral owners, including the state of North Dakota, should improve. (I am not a mineral owner.) By the way, at least one presenter at the IPAA has earmarked CAPEX for pipelines to ensure that oil is moved even during the worst winter months in North Dakota.

No comments:

Post a Comment