Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Random Look At A Few Dawson Bay Pool Wells in Dolphin Field -- The Williston Basin, North Dakota, USA

 Dawson Bay Oil Field monster wells

Quite some time ago a reader sent me a note suggesting I take a look at the Dawson Bay pool wells in Dolphin oil field. It took me quite a while to finally get to those wells, but I am glad I did.

Here we have another group of wells in another "unknown" payzone in the Williston Basin. I used to say the Bakken never fails to amaze me. I should have said, the Williston Basin never fails to amaze me.

The Dolphin oil field is in the southeast corner of Divide County, north of Tioga, North Dakota, the "oil capital of North Dakota."
  • 12017, 1,559, CLR, Bakken 1, Dawson Bay pool, Dolphin field, s9/86; t11/86; PNA; cum 351,424 bbls; 9/92
  • 12071, 955, CLR, Bernice 1, Dawson Bay pool, Dolphin field, s12/86; t1/87; AL; cum 275,721 bbls; 1/12; 
  • 12085, 823, CLR, Rivers 1, Madison River pool, Dolphin field, s2/87; t5/89; AL; cum 582,676 bbls 1/12;
  • 12086, 360, CLR, Osborne 1, Dawson Bay pool, Dolphin field, s2/87; t3/87; AL; cum 1,237,223 bbls; 1/12
  • 12114, 250, CLR, WSP 21-30, Dawson Bay, Dolphin field, s7/87; t9/87; AL; cum 537,045 bbls 1/12;
  • 12149, 463, CLR, Skor 1, Dawson Bay, Dolphin field, s7/87; t9/87; PNA; cum 270,992 bbls, 4/05; 
I am always amazed -- more than amazed -- when I see a well in the Williston Basin that has produced more than a million bbls. The Rivers 1 well produced 1.24 million bbls over the course of 25 years, and is still producing albeit very little.

Most interesting is to see CLR associated with these wells. CLR did not drill these Dawson Bay wells; they were drilled by another producer.

9 comments:

  1. Some data that is hard to find.

    Will this be coming to the WB? It should. It can solve many problems, re: supply, demand, and transport.

    anon 1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/blog/energy/2012/03/how-chesapeake-and-ge-boost-natural-gas.html

      I omitted the link.

      anon 1

      Delete
    2. I noticed that, but knew that you would post it sooner or later.

      Yes, I saw this story earlier. Debated over whether posting it. I'm still looking for government and corporate fleets to start taking advantage of these modular units.

      But the bigger story might be the story of shipping/container units. One now sees them everywhere. They are becoming temporary storage sheds for folks doing their own moves, across town or across the country. Target Logistics has basically taken them and turned them into "motel rooms" for their man-camps. I could see someone turning them into kiosks for retail in parking lots for seasonal items.

      Delete
  2. http://www.wsbt.com/business/sns-rt-us-consumerreports-fiskerbre8271a5-20120308,0,3930920.story

    Shocking, sports car ... death.

    Anon 1

    ReplyDelete
  3. These wells are located south of Noonan, just a few short miles from where I grew up. I'm wondering if this may be another piece to the puzzle as to why Baytex, Samson, Oxy, and others continue to keep drilling wells in Divide and Burke counties, despite low intial production numbers... Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not be surprised. When you look at the well files, a lot of the wells tested other payzones and generally hit oil.

      Delete
  4. I think it is almost impossible to link formations outside of bakken to future production. They are great wells but it does not indicate that there will be great bakken wells in this area. A great example of this is the Wabek field east of Parshall. I'm not trying to be debbie downer but I'm just trying to point out the difference in Bakken production versus these conventional wells. The williston basin does have a lot of oil in it but that does not mean all these things will correlate to the bakken in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100%.

      That was one of the points I have made from the beginning on this blog about the Bakken. It is very different from other booms in the Williston Basin. As I've said before, there are "no" dry Bakken wells.

      That's what is exciting about the Bakken.

      But oil men are eternally optimistic, and always hoping for that next great well. But you are correct: one cannot extrapolate what is happening in the Bakken Pool to other formations in the Williston Basin.

      But having said that, there have been some monster Madison wells in North Dakota, and with increasing knowledge and better technology, the odds are getting better for fewer dry wells in other formations. The Lodgepole reefs around the Dickinson area continue to elude/frustrate drillers.

      Delete