Thursday, March 8, 2012

Random Note on Hess' Mogen Well in the Hawkeye Oil Field

I first blogged about this well one month ago, February 8, 2012.

A reader alerted me to an update. At the end of December, the well had produced 64K of oil; one month later, the well had gone over the 100K mark.

Here are the production numbers for this one well:
  • 14 days in November, 2011: 19,576 bbls
  • 31 days in December, 2011: 43,929 bbls
  • 31 days in January, 2012: 37,827 bbls
One word: wow.

If you haven't gone to the link above, go now and look at the data points near the end of that posting. The Hawkeye is in the bull's eye of the Bakken and some say it may be 200 feet thick.

We're still learning about the Bakken.

When one sees wells like this, one wonders if the Bakken is even bigger than the most optimist of us.

For newbies: right, wrong, or indifferent -- I consider a well paid for when it reaches the 100,000-bbl milestone and the price of oil over $100. Yes, I have heard all the arguments, but right, wrong, or indifferent, it's an important milestone in my mind. This well reached this milestone in 2.5 months, and will go on producing for 30 years. And, yes, the decline will be hyperbolic.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really new to this blog. My husband works in the oilfield, and I'm trying to learn all that I can about it. What's "bbls?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abbreviation for barrels.

      Off the top of my head, if I remember correctly, a bbl is about 42 gallons of oil.

      "Bbl" comes from "blue barrel." In the very old days, barrels were painted different colors so workers could quickly determine what was in a particular barrel.

      Delete