TCM is doing a lot of submarine war movies for some reason. Usually I catch the reason why they have chosen the weekly/monthly theme they have chosen but in this case I missed it.
Dinner: from March 19, 2020:
A reader sent me this recipe to take my mind off things, telling me it would cure almost any malady.I stopped by the neighborhood grocery store this a.m. to get cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Fresh bread was just being delivered but I did not need any eggs. And, of course, no Clorox, but in the big scheme of things, everything else.
There was very little beef but there was enough. They are doing a great job keeping up. But then I found a 3.3-pound pork shoulder. Wow. It was near its expiration date so it was selling for half price. I paid about $5.50 which comes out to about $1.75/pound. What a deal. And, wow, the pulled pork came out perfectly. Thank you to the reader who sent me the recipe.
- the pulled pork will take the flavor of the barbecue sauce you choose, so choose wisely;
- maybe slightly less barbecue sauce and slightly more chicken broth next time;
- this particular pulled pork seemed a bit sweet; maybe slightly less brown sugar next time;
- I'm not sure how important fresh thyme is; it took the longest to prepare -- all the chopping -- but I love thyme so I was glad to see it in the recipe and chopping/preparation, for me, is very, very relaxing; I don't mind
- it goes without saying that the apple cider vinegar is critical, but I would use exactly the amount called for in the recipe
The pulled pork recipe is outstanding. It turns out, that after a day of being refrigerated (and then being re-heated, of course) it is outstanding. I would not change the recipe at all.Highly, highly recommend toasting the hamburger buns.