In January 2015 the City of Williston, Williams County and the North Dakota Department of Transportation began a joint project updating the comprehensive plan.
The comprehensive plan addresses the City of Williston and the surrounding area in Williams County.
The study area boundary is approximately one mile west and north of the Williston NW Bypass (US 85), and one mile east of County Highway 9 on the east side of the study area. The southern boundary of the study area consists of the Missouri River.
The plan is referred to as the Williston and Williams County Regional Plan Update. This plan consists of a comprehensive land use plan, transportation plan and corridor studies on portions of US Highway 2 and a portion of State Route 1804.Study areas:
- west: one mile west and north of the Williston NW Bypass (US 85): new airport in this area
- east: one mile east of County Highway 9 on the east side of the study area: least developed
- south to include the Missouri River: new four lane bridge
- Transportation Corridor A: from 4-mile corner west of Williston to the 6-mile corner north of Williston
- Transportation Corridor B: from the Montana state line to the 4-mile corner west of Williston
- Transportation Corridor C: from the 6-mile corner north of Williston, north to the 13-mle corner
- Transportation Corridor D: ND State Highway 1804 from the Little Muddy River crossing west (sic) to 123rd Ave/County Road 42)
- Transportation Corridor E: ND State Highway 1804 from US 2/85 west (sic) to the Little Muddy River crossing
There are seven draft documents at the linked site.
The comprehensive plan (draft) is 263 pages long (the internet PDF). The future airport and the existing airport sites are discussed starting on page 117. A map of the new airport site is fond on page 261. The transportation plan (draft)is 135 pages long. (Note: the hard copy is numbered differently than the internet PDF that downloads.)