- Phoenix International, supplier to John Deere
...the oil industry is responsible for only 25% of the state's revenue collections.I keep thinking back on the January 21, 2011, post comparing North Dakota and Minnesota.
*****************The Caterpillar data points
- August 1, 20111 press release from Caterpillar
- announced plans to "significantly expand its remanufacturing facility in West Fargo
- drive train components for large off-highway trucks and mining equipment
- final drives, transmissions, torque convertors, steering clutches
- $50 million investment; 225,000-square-foot addition
- construction to begin August, 2011; operations commencing in June, 2012
- will add ~250 new workers over three years; total workforce ~ 550 in West Fargo
- Caterpillar's two other remanufacturing facilities are in Singapore and Shrewsbury, UK
Cargill currently expanding
Reaffirming its commitment to the region, Cargill will rebuild and expand its oilseed processing plant in West Fargo. Completion of the engineering plans will determine the project's final costs, which are expected to total more than $50 million.The stories go on and on and on.
"The existing facility has served us well since we built it 30 years ago, and we are now looking at rebuilding it to meet the needs of our customers for the next 30 years," said Jaysen Schock, facility manager.
Construction is expected to start late fall 2011 with completion slated in time for the 2013 harvest.
Several things come to mind:
- location, location, location -- intersection of I-94 and I 29
- plenty of land
I think it's the business-friendly state North Dakota advertises.