Syria is crucial to Russia for three key reasons.
First, it is currently the principal Western point of the Shia crescent of power that stretches from Syria and Lebanon through Iraq and Iran and then south into Yemen that Moscow has been cultivating for years as a counterpoint to the U.S.’s own sphere of influence centred on Saudi Arabia.
Second, it offers a long Mediterranean coastline from which it can send oil and gas products (its own or those of its allies, notably Iran) for export either into major oil and gas hubs in Greece and Italy or into northern, western and eastern Africa.
Third, it is a vital military hub, with one major naval port (Tartus), one major air force base (Latakia) and one major listening station (just outside Latakia).The sports page: no sports announcer, any sport, any source, excels Brandlee Chamblee. Period. Dot. I've always enjoyed him.
I think he came close to becoming emotional during the post-US Open banter (yesterday) among the golfchannel panel. He was in awe of how Bryson DeChambeau may have changed the "course" of golf.
Another on the panel challenged him, suggesting that Bryson has "ruined the game," comparing Bryson's style and physique with the graceful, fluid, ballet-like style of Payne Stewart. Brandlee came back with a passionate argument using Moneyball as the basis of his argument.
No new permits today.
One producing well (a DUC) reported as completed:
- 37193, drl/A, CLR, Wiley 14-25HSL, Pershing; FracFocus, fracked 3/9/20 - 3/18/20; 9.4 million gallons of water; water, 88.6% water by mass; from the file report:
- primary rig spud date: 1790' @ 1637 hrs on January 10, 2020 using a 12.25" bit
- TD 12.25" hole: 1650 hours, 1/10/2020 @ 1,801' : 13 minutes; reached KOP in 183 minutes; total drilling time from spud to KOP: 196 minutes or 3.3 hours;
- KOP: 10,298' MD / 10,220' TVD reached 1833 hrs 1/13/20; begin curve 0538 hrs 1/14/20;
- TD'D curve: 11,099' MD /10,701' TVD; 1637 hours on January 14, 2020; 1,099 minutes or 18.32 hours;
- began lateral: 11,009' MD / 10,701' TVD; 0350 hours on January 17, 2020;
- TD: 20,915' MD, 10,770.7' TVD, 1715 hours on January 19, 2020; 70.75 hours or 2.95 days
- the well is about 12 air miles east of Watford City,
- target: middle Bakken:
- this well is one of two wells on the same pad; the first lateral drilled from this pad
- from primary spud until TD, the well was completed using six bottom hole assemblies (BHAs) and took a total of 106.26 drilling hours (or 1.771 days drilling time)
- average penetration rate of 180.0' per hour
- gas units in the middle Bakken: averaged 500 units; a peak of 2,892 units;
- the wellbore was in target for 63.3% of the lateral
- only comment: 63.3% of the lateral in target?
- I assume the expectation is 96% +
Twelve permits renewed:
- QEP (9): nine MHA permits in Mountrail County; all nine sited in SENE 28-150-92;
- Nine Point Energy (2): two Gibbins permits in Williams County
- Slawson: an Armada Federal permit in Mountrail County