Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Menard's Coming to Williston -- A Huge Story

The announcement that Menard's is coming to Williston is a huge story. Links here and here.

It is due to open in 2012, but the big question on everyone's mind is where will they get the employees; they plan to hire 130 workers. Actually, I think Menard's has less to worry about than the other retailers in Williston with regard to employees. Something tells me Menard's will offer a very competitive hourly pay/salary with benefits program.

I can think of a number of solutions with regard to the employee problem in Williston but I've learned that my comments and 75 cents will buy you a cup of coffee, so I will spare you my thoughts on that subject. I'm sure Menard's is going to work that issue very hard.

Menard's will be a 200,000 square foot facility. It will be adjacent to a new retail location which could end up being as big as 200 acres. Phase One of this retail operation will be 100 acres, and adjacent to Menard's.

It will be located west of Williston, on the north side of the bypass. I think I know who owned that land when I was growing up in Williston. I always thought that area would eventually be developed. In a way, it's too bad. I used to explore that area when I was a teenager.

Coming west from Montana towards Williston, when it is completed, you will see Menard's on your left, just before you make a decision to drift right into Williston toward the south end of town, along the Burlington Northern tracks, or continue to your left on the bypass around Williston. I remember all the controversy when the bypass was put in. Folks were worried that tourists/travelers would truly bypass Williston. That would be hard to imagine when Williston was the only stop for  more than a hundred miles in any direction.

The biggest takeaway with regard to Menard's coming to Williston: this should suggest to most folks that there are some who think the oil industry is here to stay this time for quite awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment