Friday, May 4, 2012

Another Reason Why I Stay Excited About The Williston Basin -- Another Monster Well

A few minutes ago I posted the daily activity report for today and noted that Hess was granted permits for six wells on a single pad in Little Knife oil field. I was curious. There was a great well already running through the section in which the six-well pad will be located.

Out of curiosity, I decided to look at some other wells in the Little Knife oil field. I went to the NDIC GIS map server, found a locus of vertical wells and zoomed in on section 3-144-98 where there were a lot of black dots, some with cross hairs (active, abandoned).

Completely random, I looked at well #6225:
  • 6225, 1,392, Petro-Hunt/Gulf Oil, Zabolotny 2-3-3-C, Little Knife field, Madison Pool, t12/77; cum 2.96 million bbls; and still producing 1,200 bbls/month.
That well must have been quite a story back in 1977 if anyone was paying attention, with an IP of nearly 1,400 bbls; it continues to produce after 35 years and actually doing quite nicely. Almost 3 million bbls from the Madison.

I think I will quit looking for now; maybe I will come back and look at few other wells in the area. 

Wow, the surprises never quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment