Monday, August 17, 2026

Discouraging: Cramer And Carl Q Trying To Talk The Market Down -- August 17, 2026

Locator: 51433CRAMER.

For the extended family, not the general reader of the blog. These are not recommendations for others. See disclaimer. This is the first of several big days for investing this month

  • Purchases for three grandchildren, 30 year rolling horizon:
    • AVGO, BNY, PLTR, AMD, and parking cash in SCHB, SCHD.
    • it's really, really difficult not to add more energy stocks but rules won't allow me. 
    • the rules also don't allow me to purchase more AAPL, but that's also very difficult
  • I opened a position in Cerebras last week. I see it's up $30 today.  

******************************************
Back To Cramer 
Et Al

US debt: will hit $40 trillion today. 

Spider-Man

  • $2 billion globally after three weeks; 2nd fastest ever;
  • fastest: $2 billion in 11 days; Avengers: Endgame, currently at $2.8 billion
  • adjusted for inflation only 8 movies have made $2 billion 

Oman and Trump

  • I think we're long past "it's now time to walk softly and carry a big stick" mentality
  • "shit or get off the pot" 
  • TACO
  • did the administration lose a lot of credibility when Trump snuck (sneaked? both are correct) out of Turkey?

Only Carl Q and Cramer: Faber must have the morning off.  

Cramer: highlights the Bakken! Says the Bakken is back!

Cramer and Q: concerned about too much borrowing by the hyperscalers. Time will tell. 

You can howl at the wind, AI is here to stay

Sandisk CEO: "We've just seen an explosion in the market around inference." 

Now Cramer switches to talking up the industry

Appears to depend on the company.

For example: Cramer says if one is selling Sandisk, one is an "idiot." His word, not mine. Says Western Digital needs to go higher (which he owns). "Up 195% and may not be done."

The one I missed: Bloom Energy.

Pre-market: oil and tech are up. NASDAQ up; Dow down.

Pre-market:

  • CAT is up a bit.
  • SCCO up almost 2%.
  • GLW up almost 1.7%.

Wow, not really talking up the chips, especially Nvidia, SpaceX,

Musk will be the biggest buyer of Nvidia's Vera Rubin, but also will need AMD.

AMD down slightly in pre-market. 

*********************************
Disclaimer

Briefly

  • I am inappropriately exuberant about the Bakken and I am often well out front of my headlights. I am often appropriately accused of hyperbole when it comes to the Bakken.
  • I am inappropriately exuberant about the US economy and the US market.
  • I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Apple.
  • See disclaimer. This is not an investment site. 
  • Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment, financial, job, career, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here. All my posts are done quickly: there will be content and typographical errors. If something appears wrong, it probably is. Feel free to fact check everything.
  • If anything on any of my posts is important to you, go to the source. If/when I find typographical / content errors, I will correct them. 
  • Reminder: I am inappropriately exuberant about the Bakken, US economy, and the US market.
  • I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Apple. 
  • And now, Nvidia, also. I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Nvidia. Nvidia is a metonym for AI and/or the sixth industrial revolution. 
  • I've now added Broadcom to the disclaimer. I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Broadcom. Now, I've added Amazon. And QCOM.
  • Longer version here.