Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Sarah Palin And Svengoolie -- August 31, 2022

I'm off the net until tomorrow morning but I came back to post a reader's comment, and as long as I'm here I might as well clear two links in the queue.

I'm not following the market, and haven't been following the market since [the Fed chairman] Powell's speech and no plan to follow the market any time soon.

But I needed to check The WSJ for an article and in the process came across two articles of interest.

First, former VP-candidate Tina-Fey-lookalike Sarah Palin lost the special election to a Democrat for a GOP-held seat. This supports my hunch that those who think the GOP will easily take back the US Senate and the US House this fall may want to re-think this. 

Second, I've always thought the "A-Hed" column in The WSJ was consequential. I was quite disappointed in today's column on television personality "Svengooli." It was an entertaining article -- if one enjoys that sort of thing -- but to be found in a business newspaper of the stature of The WSJ was quite disappointing.

However, for investors there was an important data point:

Nearly one million Americans watch “Svengoolie” in prime time on Saturday nights, often giving its little-known network, MeTV, bigger ratings during that time slot than giants of the cable dial including TNT, CNN and the Paramount Network.

Comparing the Paramount Network with TNT, CNN, and MeTV speaks volumes. 

Okay, with that, I'm off the net until sometime tomorrow. I could be delayed due to errands.

2 comments:

  1. The outcome in Alaska had as much to do with the use of "ranked-choice" voting as any thing else. The two Republican candidates, one of which was Sarah Palin, received 59% of the vote, but the Democrat gets elected with 40% of the total. Pretty screwy system if you ask me, but currently quite fashionable among the liberals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree 1000%. Hopefully GOP candidates can figure this out.

      Delete