Locator: 51845CORNING.
Story of the day: Corning.
- currently the cover story on Forbes; and,
- covered several times on CNBC yesterday.
The story over at Forbes begins:
The AI boom runs on Nvidia chips, staggering amounts of power and water—and a lot of glass. Corning makes most of it.
More precisely, the 175-year-old glass company makes the hair-thin optical fiber that hauls data between servers, buildings and data centers.
Demand has become so intense that:
- Corning has recently signed multibillion-dollar agreements with Amazon, Nvidia, Meta and Verizon;
- this week, AT&T announced a $3 billion deal with Corning to upgrade its home internet service; and,
- Apple has committed another $2.5 billion for Corning’s Gorilla Glass, the tough, hard-to-scratch stuff used in iPhones and Apple Watches.
For one of the nation’s OG technology companies, founded in upstate New York in 1851 and responsible for everything from the glass in Thomas Edison’s lightbulbs to cookware known as Pyrex, AI infrastructure is a lively third act.
Corning’s stock has nearly doubled in the last 12 months compared to less than 16% for the S&P 500.
Southern Copper (SCCO) is up over 70% for the full year. SCCO hit a high of 214 very early this year (February, 2026) coming off a low of 73 on year earlier (April, 2025). Jim Cramer had a huge series on Corning earlier this year, but that's the only time I recall ever hearing about Corning on CNBC. Once or twice this past year, it seems I've head CNBC mention SCCO in passing, preferring FCX, Freeport-McMoRan.
******************************
Micron
Ben Reitzes, Melius Research
9:40 a.m., October 1, 2026, CNBC interview
Micron: "cheap."
P/E? When asked, answered: 5
Focused on "massive buyback" in 2027 / 2028. Ten percent, maybe fifteen percent.
Guidance: margins actually increase slightly in 1Q27 -- completely unexpected.
HBM: margins going up a lot -- could stay in high 80s a lot longer than expected
HBM vs DRAM: a decision for the company day in and day out -- everyone needs both.
Shortage of memory will last long than expected.
P/E ratio being reported by Yahoo!Finance today: 24.
********************************
Disclaimer
Briefly:
I am inappropriately exuberant about the Bakken and I am often well out front of my headlights. I am often appropriately accused of hyperbole when it comes to the Bakken. I am inappropriately exuberant about the US economy and the US market. I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Apple. See disclaimer. This is not an investment site. Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment, financial, job, career, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here. All my posts are done quickly: there will be content and typographical errors. If something appears wrong, it probably is. Feel free to fact check everything. If anything on any of my posts is important to you, go to the source. If/when I find typographical / content errors, I will correct them. Reminder: I am inappropriately exuberant about the Bakken, US economy, and the US market. I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Apple. And now, Nvidia, also. I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Nvidia. Nvidia is a metonym for AI and/or the sixth industrial revolution. I've now added Broadcom to the disclaimer. I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Broadcom. Now, I've added Amazon. And QCOM. Nothing on this site should be seen as recommendations for the general public. On the other hand, I have no problem if members of my extended family "see" recommendations I might be making - but only members of my extended family, limited to my children and my grandchildren. Longer version here.