Thursday, October 1, 2026

Two US Stocks That Could Benefit From Europe's Winter Energy Crunch -- October 1, 2026

Locator: 51849LNG. 
Locator: 51849GRID.

See disclaimer.

I find the linked article below interesting. 

By Brian Sullivan, CNBC. I don't know if he knows his stuff, but he certainly is exposed to a lot of information. 

It's a long article: link here. 

To cut to the chase:

Much of that LNG supply [that will be needed by Europe this winter] is going to come from the United States. [The US has] more natural gas than we can export. If you’re looking to invest around this theme, two obvious names are exporters Cheniere Energy (LNG) and Venture Global (VG). 

Less obvious: the biggest holders of U.S. LNG capacity are based in France and the U.K. They are TotalEnergies (TTE) and Shell (SHEL).

TotalEnergies CEO Patrick Pouyanné — arguably the most important CEO in global oil and gas — spoke with us this week about Europe’s energy challenges, prices, and more in a Power Insider interview.

Disclaimer: 

  • I am not adding to any positions in energy. 
  • I continue to add to positions in tech on dips.
  • I am slowly -- very slowly -- beginning to pivot to healthcare (Big Pharma, mostly through ETFs) and Big Banks (two names). 

********************************
Global Electric Grid
IEA Perspective

Some very interesting data points in IEA's annual report. Overview here.

The full 2026 report here. 

Two takeaways:
despite the surge in demand and expansion of the grid, if one does the math, it's hardly daunting; political backlash will be much more daunting than the dollars involved; and,
in the US, the growth in Texas / ERCOT will be daunting.

From the report: 

  • In the US, the growth will be prominently in two ISO: PJM and ERCOT.
  • Despite a pause in connecting new data center projects in Texas to the grid, the West South Central region (Texas, for the most part) will still account for the largest regional share of growth in total electricity sales, totaling nearly 20% of nationwide growth in 2026 and almost 40% in 2027, according to the EIA’s forecast in the Short-Term Energy Outlook (STEO) for September.

This is not trivial. 

********************************
Disclaimer

Briefly: 

  • I am inappropriately exuberant about the Bakken and I am often well out front of my headlights. I am often appropriately accused of hyperbole when it comes to the Bakken.
  • I am inappropriately exuberant about the US economy and the US market.
  • I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Apple.
  • See disclaimer. This is not an investment site. 
  • Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment, financial, job, career, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here. All my posts are done quickly: there will be content and typographical errors. If something appears wrong, it probably is. Feel free to fact check everything.
  • If anything on any of my posts is important to you, go to the source. If/when I find typographical / content errors, I will correct them. 
  • Reminder: I am inappropriately exuberant about the Bakken, US economy, and the US market.
  • I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Apple. 
  • And now, Nvidia, also. I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Nvidia. Nvidia is a metonym for AI and/or the sixth industrial revolution. 
  • I've now added Broadcom to the disclaimer. I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Broadcom. Now, I've added Amazon. And QCOM. Nothing on this site should be seen as recommendations for the general public. On the other hand, I have no problem if members of my extended family "see" recommendations I might be making - but only members of my extended family, limited to my children and my grandchildren.
  • Longer version here.