Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Interview: Freddie Mercury: Mary Austin On Her Best Friend – And Love Of Her Life -- The Guardian -- September 1, 2026

Locator: 51613MEMORIES.

Market today: it's going to be a painful day. Buying opportunity. I'll park my September dividends in Schwab ETFs. Perhaps, also, the health-related ETF in which I'm building a position. September is a huge month for dividends. My entire portfolio is earmarked for the five grandchildren. A rolling thirty-year investing horizon.

***************************************
Love Story 

Freddie Mercury and Mary Austin

Mary Austin is 75 years old, born March 6, in the same year I was born.  

Freddie Mercury would have been 80 years old this year. Born September 5, 1946.

1946 was quite a year, it appears -- God must have been wanting some new artists. Some top artists in 1946: Perry Como; Frank Sinatra; and, Bing Crosby. I would have wanted some new artists also. 

Other birth dates. 

Cher: May 20, 1946.

Dolly Parton: January 19, 1946. 

Link here. Truly, a must-read article. 

From the linked article:

There were four silver trunks in Mary Austin’s attic that she packed in the mid-1980s and hadn’t opened since. It was too painful. Almost 40 years on, in 2022, she opened one. It was crammed with lyrics from songs written by Freddie Mercury – Don’t Stop Me Now, Killer Queen, We Are the Champions and, of course, Bohemian Rhapsody. She shut the case. It was still too painful.

“To say I was overwhelmed is an understatement,” she says. “I couldn’t look at the lyrics. I felt as I did when I originally packed them – that they were his personal belongings and I was being offered an opportunity to delve into them, and I couldn’t do that.” Eventually she asked her two sons to sift through the treasures on her behalf.

The original handwritten lyrics belonged to her. As does Mercury’s house, which she has lived in for more than 30 years. As does half of his estate, which has grown over the decades from an estimated £20-30m to around £150m. In the years since Mercury died, Austin has become extraordinarily rich, although she denies reports that her share of the estate rose to 75% after the death of his parents.

If I ever kept anything from the "first" love of my life, I've long lost track of it. That's fortunate. I couldn't possibly bear looking at whatever I might have kept. I do remember vividly the one-inch-by-one-inch scrap of paper on which she wrote, "don't go out of my life." That was after I quit responding to her letters after she broke up with me. 

Too painful. She died several years ago.  

Mary Austin interview, the final paragraph:

When she considers everything that’s happened, Austin says, she thinks maybe she isn’t so boring after all. “You need your whole lifetime to realise that. You don’t realise at 19 that your life is going to be unusual. Then at 75 you realise, wow, my life has been unusual. You’re suddenly looking back and thinking, yeah, I do stand alone.”

That's how I feel.  

 

*********************************
Disclaimer

Briefly

  • I am inappropriately exuberant about the Bakken and I am often well out front of my headlights. I am often appropriately accused of hyperbole when it comes to the Bakken.
  • I am inappropriately exuberant about the US economy and the US market.
  • I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Apple.
  • See disclaimer. This is not an investment site. 
  • Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment, financial, job, career, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here. All my posts are done quickly: there will be content and typographical errors. If something appears wrong, it probably is. Feel free to fact check everything.
  • If anything on any of my posts is important to you, go to the source. If/when I find typographical / content errors, I will correct them. 
  • Reminder: I am inappropriately exuberant about the Bakken, US economy, and the US market.
  • I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Apple. 
  • And now, Nvidia, also. I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Nvidia. Nvidia is a metonym for AI and/or the sixth industrial revolution. 
  • I've now added Broadcom to the disclaimer. I am also inappropriately exuberant about all things Broadcom. Now, I've added Amazon. And QCOM.
  • Longer version here.