Monday, September 21, 2026

A Musical Interlude -- Monday, September 21, 2026

Locator: 51776COHEN. 

I don't think I've done this before: a stand-alone post for a musical interlude.

I posted this link earlier this weekend. But it was easy to miss. It deserves another blog. 

This is such a great essay, I've linked it as a stand-alone blog.

It's over at PowerLine. It's a look back at Leonard Cohen who died ten years ago. 

The link again: https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2026/09/sunday-morning-coming-down-252.php.  

I'm sure I've missed many excellent essays on music over at PowerLine. I'm glad I did not miss this one.

One paragraph:

Cohen’s birthday tomorrow coincides this year with the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur, which begins at sundown tonight. Cohen’s “Who By Fire” draws directly on the Unetaneh Tokef liturgical poem that we chant during our morning services on Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. PJ Harvey has a good cover of the song. Link here.

This is the second time in as many days that I've come across "PJ Harvey." Wiki.