Sunday, February 19, 2023

For The Archives -- Nothing About The Bakken -- February 19, 2023

Wow, wow, wow ... we need more three-day weekends -- especially when Sophia is out of town ... and I have three days to myself. I'm getting caught up on my reading .... seven books from Powell Books, Portland, OR.

  • Silent Spring Revolution: John F. Kennedy, Rachel Carson, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, and The Great Environmental Awakening, Douglas Brinkley, 2022.
  • California: America's High-Stakes Experiment, Peter Schrag, c. 2006.
  • The Book of Eels, Our Enduring Fascination with the Most Mysterious Creature in the Natural World, Patrick Svensson, c. 2020.
  • The Mind of a Bee, Lars Chittka, c. 2022. Princeton University Press. A scientific treatise.
  • The Rise and Reign of the Mammals: A New History, From the Shadow of the Dinosaurs to US, Steve Brusatte, c. 2022.
  • Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle, The Countess of Carnarvon, 2011.
  • The Lord of the Rings, J. R. R. Tolkien, deluxe edition, 2004. Notes on the text: Douglas A. Anderson, May, 2004.

... plus a couple of earlier books from Amazon, yet to finish, including:

  • Indigenous Continent: The Epic Contest for North America, Pekka Hämäläinen, September, 2022. 
  • Mailer: The Naked and the Dead; Selected Letters 1945 - 1946. J. Michael Lennon, editor, c. 2023. See note here.

I can hardly wait for summer ... to get back to swimming, but this weekend is going to be superb.


And the music on YouTube ... superb .. and NASCAR tomorrow. Not sure if I will watch the race. I didn't even watch the Super Bowl this year, and didn't even listen to "Get Up" or "First Take" the morning after.

And I've lost all interest in the PGA -- the tipping point -- the juvenile prank / joke by Tiger Woods. I can't even imagine Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus ... 

... so, lots of blogging, updating journals, reading, and more reading.

I still haven't had a haircut in a barbershop .... all haircuts by Sophia since March, 2020 --- that's hard to believe ... three years ... and Sophia was five years old when she gave me my first haircut. They used to be free; she charges me as much as $20 some days. I might give her $5 .... LOL. 

2 comments:

  1. By pulling that prank, Tiger has guaranteed a surge in his online "hits" which will earn him some funny money via the PIP at the end of the year. Now, that is a prank with a side of prank. But seriously, if you like watching golf, Riviera this weekend is an all star lineup with superior talent in their field who all had to make the cut just like it's always been. Golfers, and most other athletes for that matter, prank, have always pranked, and hopefully will keep pranking, simply because it is silly. But then, I have sometimes been accused of being silly so I'm a little biased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'll have to start carrying tampons in my pocket if I don't want to be seen as a curmudgeon. I'll hand one to my wife when she tries to parallel park. LOL. I still have trouble imagining Arnold Palmer / Jack Nicklaus carrying tampons around to use as a prank. Much could be said but I will leave it there.

    ReplyDelete