Monday, June 6, 2022

Not Ready For Prime Time -- June 6, 2022

With my wife heading back to California for a month or so, and with Bidenflation hitting my grocery budget, I'm regressing back to my student days in southern California when I literally lived on Campbell's bean and bacon soup and tuna fish sandwiches for four years. I loved those days and I loved those meals. 

For the next month or so:

breakfast:

  • scrambled eggs and chorizo
  • orange juice (lots of orange juice)
  • toast and chunky peanut butter

lunch:

  • tuna fish sandwiches
  • tuna fish and chow mein (one of my favorite quick dishes)
  • grilled cheese
  • blueberries and cottage cheese

dinner:

  • spaghetti and meatballs
  • chili hot dogs (poolside)

Speaking of food.

On my twitter feed today:

She is not on my twitter feed so someone on my twitter feed re-tweeted her tweet. I've "blocked" twitter accounts for less. LOL.

I sit down to eat for one of two reasons:

  • to re-fuel; and,
  • as a social event.

Mariana Z, who sees cooking for three hours just to eat for fifteen minutes the biggest scam in the world, no doubt loves:

  • standing in line at McDonald's for thirty seconds and then ordering;
  • waiting ninety seconds for the Happy Meal; and,
  • then consuming said Happy Meal in three minutes.
  • wow, not to be judgemental, but what a loser. She is obviously a millennial. 

When I grill, it's a three-hour affair and I love every minute of it.

What could possible take three hours? Beer can chicken: prep, cooking, enjoying.

For me, grilling is a social event, even if it's just for me. 

Apartment living:

We're not allowed to have charcoal grills on the balconies in this apartment complex but that doesn't stop us. LOL.

Yesterday, walking Sophia to the pool, I happened to see Bianca grilling chicken, hot dogs, sausage, everything on a newly-bought grill. Later I walked walk back and got a hot dog for Sophia.

For every hour in the pool, Sophia needs two hot dogs. LOL.

Bianca is my new friend. Her significant other, Jake, seems a bit strung out but that's fine. 

Reminder: Apple event at 12:00 noon, CT. Only on the Safari browser. 

Jake:

One of my neighborhood friends is Jake Miles --- yeah, I think I can post his name --- he won't read the blog and I will only say positive things about him ...

I have a 5-mile bicycle circuit that I ride once or twice a day. Jake is the mid-point. Sometimes he's outside; generally he is not. 

He is/was a highly successful "officer" in some Fortune 500 company. I really enjoy talking with him. I never could remember if his name was Miles Jacob or Jacob Miles, but yesterday, etched into my memory forever, it's Jake Miles. 

He recommended Miles gin for martinis. 

**********************
The Book Page

Can't say enough about Rozzo's Everybody Thought We Were Crazy: Dennis Hopper, Brooke Hayward, and 1960s Los Angeles, Mark Rozzo, c. 2022.

If you are a fan of Chuck Klosterman, you should love Rozzo's book.

When Chuck Klosterman is good, he's superb. But he's a bit uneven. 

I know nothing about Mark Rozzo, but if you want to know the history of film in the 1960s, you could not do better by reading Rozzo's book noted above.

Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me. They possess and enjoy early, and it does something to them, makes them soft where we are hard, and cynical where we are trustful, in a way that, unless you were born rich, it is very difficult to understand.

**************************
Racing

After watching the "Enjoy Illinois 300" yesterday, and re-watching it now, I am convinced I am corrrect with my observations from some weeks ago. 

"Bump and crash" is perfectly legitimate. Is Logano the best at doing this? Keselowski? 

Maybe. All's fair in love and war. And racing. 

*************************
SCOTUS Opinions

Another week goes by. The opinion of the year was not released.  

*************************
Apple Presentation

Ostentatious.

Starts off with a transgender on the lockscreeen. 

The immediate "hook" is critical. The lockscreen fails as a hook.

Boring. 

First time ever watching an Apple presentation, ready to exit after just seventeen minutes.

I’m gone. Going biking. I will read JoAnn Stern’s review in The WSJ tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment