Sunday, June 20, 2021

Rambling -- Modern Life -- June 20, 2021

Today, while watching the US Open, it was noted that the USGA event was available on "Roku, Amazon Fire, and Apple TV+. 

That's interesting: Apple TV+. I did not know. I will have to fact check that. LOL. 

In the background, while typing this, the unreleased songs and demos of Lana Del Rey (the Ultraviolence album) are playing over my inexpensive over-the-ears headphones (while watching the golf tournament streaming over Amazon Fire on the dumb "smart" television).

But back to "Roku, Amazon Fire, and Apple TV+."

To include "Roku" is interesting. I see "Roku" as a box through which everything else streams. That's true of the Amazon TV Fire Stick also, but unlike "Roku," Amazon has an entire stable of stallions, including free shipping, Prime Video, Amazon Photos, etc. Through both "Roku" and "Amazon Fire" flow Hulu (majority owned by Disney); Disney+ (includes ESPN); Netflix; HBO Max; and, everything else. 

I've discussed this before. I still think Roku disappears over time. I don't need any more cable. The Amazon Fire TV Stick fits unobtrusively into an HDMI slot behind the flat screen. And it's so cheap I think Amazon could give it away as a promotion for buying something else, perhaps high-grade Amazon speakers.

The fact that the USGA mentioned Apple TV+ among the triad is huge. It suggests that even though I don't care for Apple TV+ it must have a huge following. 

Speaking of Amazon. Yesterday afternoon my wife mentioned in passing she was missing her magnifying glass which she uses when painting. Sophia has a habit of taking the magnifying glass when she wants and then it's temporarily unavailable. Two minutes later, I had click-ordered two really, really nice magnifying glasses through Amazon. They arrived moments ago. My wife was thrilled. One for her; one for Sophia and interestingly, even nicer than I had expected. 

Even if I had ridden my bicycle to Target yesterday, the store would not have had the magnifying glasses I was looking for. 

The other day I needed a simple 25-cent widget to attach to my bicycle pump to use for Sophia's swimming pool floatie. I bicycled to Target; none to be found. I came home and ordered an eleven-dollar pump that can plug into an automobile 12-volt outlet or plug into a 120-volt home outlet. Perfect for the car. Target didn't have those pumps either. So, Target is great for its owners (its shareholders), but not so great for its customers. Amazon: great for its owners and its customers. 

I didn't check Walmart or Target on line. They're probably just as good but I doubt they can possibly meet Amazon's delivery standards (time and quality of delivery).

Lana Del Rey. 

Social media. It is absolutely amazing how many women (I suppose, women) absolutely swear by this singer, songwriter. They talk to her in their social media, her life, her lyrics. I haven't seen that with the other divas. Her fans seem willing to accept anything Lana Del Rey releases. The bigger story is all the leaked material. We saw that in Bob Dylan and The Beatles, but it seemed more controlled. There seems to be something different about the leaked-Lana-Del-Rey stuff. For one thing, unlike Bob Dylan and The Beatles, her leaded material is in "real time." Yes, I know, times are different.

I talked to our older adult daughter today about Lana Del Rey. She says her favorite, Bruce Springsteen, likes Lana Del Rey. Apparently Lana Del Rey mentioned Bruce Springsteen in one of her songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment