Sunday, May 9, 2021

Notes From All Over -- Early Evening Edition -- May 9, 2021

Firster things firster: Colonial Pipeline says some small lines are back online but all mainlines, 1, 2, 3, and 4 are still offline -- 6:00 p.m. CT, Sunday evening, May 9, 2021.

First: the drought. Current conditions are not something new. Forty-five years ago, 1976, there was a severe drought in northern California. Folks were encouraged to take communal showers. Link here. I remember it well. I lived in southern California, 1973 - 1977, and then, northern California, 1977 - 1980.

Second: severe drought in western North Dakota. Williston Band Day hit with rain. Virgil Syverson. Earlier note. See also 2nd Armored Division

I see the Band Day venue changed from the days when I was in "band." Instead of going down Main Street, north to south, the bands now have a much wider venue, "Million Dollar Way" starting at 18th Street & University Avenue, south on "highway 2&85,", and ending at Harmon Park, where the amphitheater named in his honor, is sited. I took piano lessons from his wife, Margaret Syverson.

5 comments:

  1. maybe JOE sabotaged the pipeline so he could sell EV's. one never knows.. don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big drought from 86-92 in Cali. I was stationed in San Diego. Remember hearing the state would never recover. (But some contrarians noted that the water still came out of the tap fine and there were streams running to the ocean still.) Massive rains came in 92 and refilled all the reservoirs. Still remember that winter. Renting a mansion in Point Loma with several other JOs. Most were on WESTPAC deployment that winter. So like two of us, had a 7,000 sq foot house to rumble through. My roomie loved the rain and played an Indigo Girls CD over and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On another note, I was reminiscing (to myself) about my time in the service: so many stories to pass on to the grandchildren. My hunch: there are very few folks who wouldn't benefit from a stint in the US military. The US military would not benefit if "everyone" allowed to join but the reverse is true, if that makes sense.

      Delete
  3. No doubt the Army did wonders for this 18 y/o knucklehead. 3 yrs turned into 8 and should have longer, but that knucklehead reared up at just wrong time and I bailed. Probably the biggest single mistake I have ever made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we only go through life once. A lot of would-of, could-of, should-of thoughts, but probably best to always keep looking forward.

      Delete