Thursday, November 12, 2020

Apple's New Chip Is Apparently "The Real Deal" -- November 12, 2020

Note: there will be more typographical errors, content errors, grammatical errors, and just plain poor writing than usual this morning due to "situations" beyond my control. I will come back to fix these errors later this morning. 

This is way too geeky for me, way above my pay grade, and I would not have posted it, except for the comments in social media regarding this story.

The other day, Apple held its third of three events in the past two months. This event was to announce the new chip that Apple itself is manufacturing after it broke away from Intel. 

Apple, of course, said it was their fastest chip ever. And they are releasing the chip first in their lower-end computers, which are now available for ordering. 

Normally, when and where these announcements are made, Apple is attacked for various reasons. But not this time.

 Apparently this is a big, big deal. Apparently these are really fast chips. 

The link is here. I'm not sure if you will get much out of the article. I certainly did not. But the comments were quite enlightening, to say the least. 

But look at that headline: the new Apple chip, the "Apple Silicon M1" chip, or simply the "M1" chip in MacBook Air outperforms high-end 16-inch MacBook Pro.

That is simply astounding. The MacBook Air is "low-end." Something high school students and college-bound students might use.

But for professionals? Give me a break. They won't be caught dead with a MacBook Air. They "need" a high-end 16-inch MacBook Pro.

By the way, as an aside, over the weekend I held a high-end 16-inch MacBook Pro in my hands for the first time ever the other day. 

It was so much lighter (and thinner) than the MacBook Pro I had years ago. After problems with that MacBook Pro (hard drive problems) I went to the MacBook Air exclusively and never looked back.

The MacBook Pro may now be completely solid-state, no hard drive, I don't know. If so, then that's no longer an issue. 

But I still maintain that for the masses, the MacBook Air is a much, much better deal than the MacBook Pro. 

Wow, what a digression.

Go to the article at the link. Breeze through it. Then read the comments. 

************************************
My Background

A lot of newbies are probably curious who I am, how I can possibly know so much, where I was educated, if I really was a veteran, how much I'm currently worth, etc. 

I'm sure a lot of newbies do a "Duck Duck Go" search to find out who I really am. I was curious (there's a longer story to this but .... whatever).

Anyway, if you "DuckDuckGo" or google me, you will eventually come to a site that for a few dollars you can find out all about me. 

According to the site:

  • I enlisted in the US Marine Corps in 1977 at Camp Pendleton and served until 2007 (I wish)
    • elsewhere it says "right now Bruce is an Enlisted at USMC"
  • my current address is wrong; don't send money to that address if you want it to go to me
  • I'm African-American (LOL -- you've all seen my Scandinavian paleface on the blog)
  • Grapevine, TX, is listed as a previous address; that's where I am now, nothing "previous" about it;
  • the aliases listed are all correct
  • I was completely unaware that I am registered with the Republican Party (I guess I had to when I voted some years ago) -- for the record I am no longer affiliated with that party; have never donated to that party, and must have registered only so I could vote and collect the $10 someone paid me to stand in line for them, and vote straight ticket Republican -- yes, it all comes back to me now -- that summer when I was really down and out, living from handout-to-handout;
  • I am said to be single and have no kids (that will be news to my wife, and two daughters, and five grandchildren, as well as to the state of Nevada -- perhaps that's the problem -- maybe we never filed the marriage certificate -- LOL -- no, we did -- I have two certified copies from Clark County, Nevada, where Las Vegas is located);
  • my favorite: education -- Harvard Business School (again, I wish)
  • my annual income is "about $10 - $19,999; with a net worth that tops less than $1." No typos. I wish I could convince the IRS this information is accurate;
  • my current status: homeless: I kid you not. My current address is listed as a vacant lot. But at least I know what that vacant lot is currently worth. LOL.
  • the area code, but not my whole telephone number, is posted. I could look it up, but I won't, so I can honestly say I have no idea where that area code resides. I assume San Antonio, TX, or Prattrville, AL, or Boston, MA. 
  • not once, does the site mention my birthplace or relationship with North Dakota. Not once.
  • the Bakken? LOL. They didn't even mention my website.

*****************************************
Corky

This is pretty funny. Calvin had Hobbes. Our six-year-old granddaughter has Corky.

Fairly frequently, Corky goes missing. Sophia is never concerned. She says Corky is traveling. For the past two weeks none of us have seen Corky. We are concerned that this time she really is lost. Sophia simply tells us that Corky, a stuffed animal, a pig, is visiting her parents in Chicago. 

Earlier today a reader wrote to tell met that Apple had paid its quarterly dividend. I checked. It was not in my account. The reader suggested I talk to Sophia who is my editor and in that capacity has the passwords to my smartphone, other mobile devices, my desktop, and by extension, all accounts that need passwords.

My hunch is that Sophia will tell me that she has no idea what I'm talking about but that if there's a problem it probably has to do with Corky. 

Regardless, Sophia did tell me last week that it was Corky's birthday this week, and even if Corky is not here, we will celebrate her birthday anyway with cupcakes, as we always do, about every three or four weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment