Thursday, March 8, 2018

Looking For A Handout -- GM -- March 8, 2018; I Need A Hero -- A Hercules To Fight The Rising Odds

Back on February 24, 2018, I predicted that US automobile companies would ask for an extension of tax credits for EVs (I suspect Trump will support the extension if he is concerned about putting Americans to work).

Well, here we go: in The WSJ yesterday, "GM CEO pushes for renewed tax breaks on electric vehicles. She's right to ask for a renewal/extension/expansion but for the wrong reasons.
General Motors Co. Chief Executive Mary Barra is pressing Washington for an expansion of electric-vehicle tax credits, a plea that would help the company and rivals like Tesla Inc. sell battery-powered cars in an era of cheap gasoline and skepticism about alternative vehicles.
A handful of auto makers face the expiration of $7,500 income-tax credit that has applied to hundreds of thousands of electric-vehicle purchases since the Obama administration established the offer. GM has used the incentive to bring the tab of its electric Chevrolet Bolt to under $30,000.
GM is expanding production of the Bolt, but it will soon hit a sales cap that triggers the gradual expiration of the incentive for individual car companies that have sold 200,000 electric cars since the credit’s inception in 2009. 
I've already posted my 30-second elevator speech at the linked post above. I won't repeat.

Maybe some elevator music instead. No, I won't go that far.

Speaking of EVs, the February scorecard is complete. Note Nissan Leaf. I still think Chevy Volt/Bolt is going to be the short-term winner (short-term: 2016 - 2021); after that it's anyone's guess but either GM or Ford in the US; Volvo/Daimler worldwide (think Asia).

*******************************
Looking For A Handout? Looking For A Hero

Something tells me this song was not considered the theme song for the 90th Oscars presentation the other night.
Where have all the good men gone and where are all the gods? Where's the streetwise Hercules to fight the rising odds? Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed? Late at night I toss and I turn and I dream of what I need. I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong and he's gotta be fast.
Perhaps something for the US presidential campaign in 2020.

I Need A Hero, Bonnie Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment