Thursday, July 30, 2026

Citadel And Situational Awareness -- Citadel Had It -- The Hedge Fund Situational Awareness Did Not -- Irony, I Guess -- July 30, 2026

l

This was the "first take" by a lot of folks. I didn't know what to think, how to phrase it, how to articulate what Citadel did, but this is what started it all:

If you don't know the story, query Citadel and the billion-dollar Situational Awareness hedge fund started by a 20-something whiz-kid -- and the went bust:


I believe that was from earlier this morning.

But here's a reply that makes sense of all this:


Ya gotta love it.

************************************
The Book Page 

Tonight, a recent purchase from "Friends of the Library," Portland, OR, three new books for less than $15 --

  • Metazoa: Animal Life and The Birth of the Mind, Peter Godfrey-Smith, c. 2020. $4.00 (original: $28.00).

First four pages and I'm hooked. 

It's an origin of life book. If not -- I haven't read enough to know for sure -- it's a book what will immediately have you start pondering some very deep questions. particularly, just how / why is "life" different than "non-life." The ability to replicate is obvious but the difference between "life" and "non-life" is so much different. Let's say a rock could replicate itself -- but so what? There's still so much more. 

Anyway, it's going to be a fascinating book.