Monday, July 20, 2026

Is It Time To Pivot? July 20, 2026

Locator: 51211INVESTING. 

Arab Spring: see wiki. The obvious question: compared to 2010 - 2015 (Arab Spring) except for the war in and around Iran, things are much quieter in the Arab world now than they were during Arab Spring. Why is the Arab world so quiet now? The chatbot response must be correct, or at least have an element of accuracy but yet I'm not satisfied with the answer. I'm not going to post that response; it's too long. If interested, readers can do their own query. But wow, right now, things appear quiet in the Arab World except for what's going in and around the Strait of Hormuz. Fascinating to read about it now, but I certainly don't understand why that is so. 

My hunch, just out of thin air, a rambling thought -- with the Fed focused on US inflation and the very possibility of the US Fed raising rates; the price of oil remaining higher longer, mostly due to the Iranian War; and the Chinese economy significantly faltering, the likelihood of a recession by next summer, is very much a possibility. I think it will be interesting to see whether central banks can thread the needle: not contribute to a recession while at the same time, tackling inflation.  

On another note, as an investor, I never, never, never thought I would be looking at the oil sector again, but maybe it's time. It's amazing the number of pundits who think the price of oil is likely to fall back to $60. I just don't see it. 

It seems it all goes back to the Chinese economy. And right now, the Chinese economy is not looking so great  

Link here