Thursday, March 23, 2023

Nvidia -- Story Of The Week -- March 23, 2023

Story of the day: NVDA.

One could argue the #1 investing story trending thee past two days was about Nvidia.

Some of the overnight links:

The semiconductors are tracked here.

Today:

  • NVDA: up $8.36, up 3.2%; trading at $273.

***********************************
Clickbait -- For The Archives

Over at Insider, taken from another site.

This is so incredibly bad on so many levels, it's hard to believe Insider would publish it. 

However, it gives me a chance to post some for the archives, for the grandchildren.

I served in the USAF for 30 years plus one day.

For the first half of my career, let's say fifteen years, I was in operations. In those years, my schedule was out of my control, was chaotic, unpredictable, and I was either on-call or at work 24/7. Every other week, in addition to the regular chaotic 24/7 schedule I worked the emergency room for twenty-hours on Saturday, or twelve hours Friday night to Saturday morning. I was up most nights at 2:00 a.m. answering phone calls from the emergency room or actually going into work on the OB unit, or the ER.

The second fourth of my career, let's say seven years, I was a commander, with office hours of 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. I often stayed later. In addition, about 20% of my time was still in operations, with the same chaotic and unpredictable scheduling.

During those seven years I developed a very successful office schedule. 

On the first day of the week, I went into the office at 4:00 a.m. I had no trouble getting up. I couldn't wait to see what had transpired overnight and what was waiting for me. Between 5:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. I got all the paperwork for the day completed, allowing for a completely open schedule the rest of the day to work with others. 

On the second day, Tuesday, I went into work at 5:00 a.m.

On the third day, Wednesday, I went into work at 6:00 a.m. -- each day catching up on a bit more sleep.

By Thursday and Friday I was back on the 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. schedule.

Weekends, of course, varied based on operations and pop-ups from my boss, either a one-star or a two-star.  

***

I developed some of my sleep habits during college, but it was during my third and fourth years of medical school where my sleeping habits really evolved.  

The hours of sleep before midnight are/were most important, so I tried being in bed by 10:00 p.m. 

Something no one seems to talk about but may be contributory to maintaining this sleep schedule: diet. Of course no alcohol, but in addition, a very, very limited caloric diet. 

Exercise became more and more important as I got older. Now, in retirement, I have an exercise schedule that is significantly more challenging than any exercise program I had while on active duty -- but I was in the USAF, not the US Army, and certainly not the US Marines! LOL. 

***

This might be a good time to note this.

I did not drink coffee during my seven years in operations -- off and on, off course, but generally no coffee, and no other sleep aids -- to help get to sleep; to help wake up.

But, speaking of coffee: that meme that caffeine might be a cardiac risk -- not true. 

Link to The WSJ

I now drink a lot of coffee, but for reasons other than helping me get up or stay awake. I can drink caffeinated coffee right before going to bed and it does not affect me. However, if I have caffeinated coffee about an hour before retiring, it might affect my sleep but if so, of that I'm not aware.

No comments:

Post a Comment