Tuesday, February 21, 2023

"The Googie-Heim" -- A Lookback -- Williston, ND -- February 21, 2023

Googie: link here.

The American State Bank, branch office, one block off Main Street: the epitome of googie in Williston, ND.

My dad's first insurance office, Manger Insurance, Inc., sat right next to this bank for many, many years. 

Manger Insurance, Inc., moved to a newer location several years before the googie was demolished, and then Manger moved again, this time to its current location.

For the record, Manger has always had non-googie architecture. 

NOTE: the article below is from 2008.



************************
For Archives

1963. I was twelve years old. This new building absolutely fascinated me. It was right next to my dad's office, and attached to my dad's office was a donut shop. Whoo-hoo.

I have a lot of great memories all the while this building was standing -- I attended WHS 1965 to 1969, participating in many extracurricular activities. 

Dad never talked much about this building but I assume a lot of farmers got a kick out of stopping at Manger and looking at such a crazy building.

I have no idea what possessed ASB to do a googie, but I was, and still am, very, very impressed. 

I never realized this building actually stood that long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment