Saturday, October 22, 2022

The Exercise Page, Part 2 -- October 22, 2022

See "the exercise page." 

They've just finished a complete renovation of our fitness center in the apartment complex, all new equipment. It is amazing. One now sees the problem "Peloton" had as a business model: no moat. We have two "pelotons" in the new fitness center but the brand? Echelon. Yup. 

Echelon Connect bikes with world-class instructors.

  • starting at $899
  • Peleton? starting at $2,500. 

During the couple of weeks that the apartment complex fitness center was closed for renovation, I had to change my exercise routine a bit, more walking and more biking. 

See the link above.

#2: hitting 10,000 steps a day is the most underutilized yet effective fat loss habit;
#11: get 15+ minutes of sunlight in the first hour of waking to seet your circadian rhythm;
#32: you don't have to eat breakfast; listen to your body; eat when you're hungry;
#35: sunshine is the #1 supplement to better sleep, mood, energy.

Because I did not have the treadmill, I began walking instead. I hate to exercise just to exercise; I have to have a destination. So, I went back to a place I never thought I would visit again (on a regular basis): Starbucks.

First thing when I get up, I now walk to a Starbucks, fifteen minutes away, do some reading and blogging, and then walk home in the sun (#2, #11, #32, #35 above). 

By the time I get home I'm hungry for a small bowl of oatmeal and then on my 80-minute "hard-exercise" bike ride. If I'm lazy and want to enjoy the ride, it's a 90-minute ride; if I want to see how fast I can make the round trip and with a good win, I can do the route in less than an hour.

They're going to need a larger Starbucks. This Starbucks is the standard medium-to-large seating area. Today, it was hard to find a seat, and the drive-through had a line of six cars.

The thing I miss most now that weather has turned cooler: swimming. The last two days the weather has been very warm, yesterday, hitting 90° -- but because it gets so cool/cold at night, the pool water remains very cool/cold. But yesterday, just to say I did it, I swam twelve laps. During the summer I often swam 20 laps, sometimes 30 - 40 laps, but never fewer than ten laps. Yesterday, I swan twelve laps. It really was great, I would have stayed in long but it gets "lonely." Boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment