Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Notes From All Over -- Part 1 -- March 23, 2022

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site.  Do not make any investment, financial, job, career, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here

SCHD: yearly "reconstitution" --

  • adds 14 new stocks;
  • eliminates 13; many were spinoffs
  • EOG: largest new holding;
  • most significant deletion: Emerson Electric; still a fine investment but with a dropping yield;
  • of the 14 new ones, 13 deleted, not caught my eye, except, EOG, of course

XOM: this is no dead cat bounce; next up, $95. Also at SeekingAlpha

Demand destruction: all of my rich friends have money

Tanking: MLB. Poster child: Cincinnati Reds. Link to The WSJ

Covid-19: last night I spent about twenty minutes looking at the data regarding active cases of Covid-19 in the US

I have never seen anything drop so fast. We're trending toward "zero" in most states. It is incredible. This morning, I see this headline in The WSJ: the Biden administration will stop reimbursing hospitals (and this included emergency rooms) for Covid-19 care for the uninsured. Coincidence? 
Healthcare cocers are scrambling to find new diagnostic code to replace Covid-19 that will still qualify for reimbursement for the uninsured. First guess? "Seasonal flu." Covid-19 will go away faster than anyone could imagine. This is not rocket science.

Corroboration?

  • Germany: cases are surging;
  • France: even worse; after dropping precipitously, cases now on the rise again;
  • UK: same as France; after dropping precipitously, cases now on the rise again;
  • Italy: ditto.

?

  • Assuming cases in Europe continue to spike and Covid-19 goes away in the US, one has to ask, why?

Speaking of Covid: more and more folks are disregarding federal mandates on masking in the DFW airport. I noticed that two nights ago when I picked up Olivia at the airport coming in from Phoenix after her soccer tournament.

Ya think? Investors now buy 33% of all the homes in the US. Link here. By their definition, I've invested in property in Montana. Not true. I bought the lot from my mother decades ago and will leave it for my grandchildren. I never saw it as investment property. Although, I suppose, in a way I did. Whatever. 

Agree 1,000%: Russian billionaires who have long sheltered their fortunes abroad are rushing to move their assets; they have few options. Link here.

Agriculture: China faces what could be the worst crop conditions ever because of extreme weather. Link here. More renewable energy will help. Like ethanol from corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment