Monday, January 10, 2022

Boston Is Burning The Midnight Oil To Keep The Lights On Tonight -- January 10, 2022

Holy mackerel, electricity demand is hardly that remarkable in New England but yet to meet demand, fourteen percent of ISO NE's electricity is being generated by oil!

Link here

Electricity prices in NE are surging (again) tonight and electricity demand is hardly noteworthy.


Sixth decile.

But look at this:

  • oil: 14%
  • renewables: only 10%; two-thirds of that generated by burning oil; and, of course,
  • when burning that much oil, one is probably burning coal, and they are:
  • coal: 3%

It's almost criminal -- if Texas was generating fourteen percent of its electricity by burning oil we would never hear the end of it. And for New England, they are but a few miles from the largest reservoir of natural gas in the universe. This is simply amazing. 

I had no clue that Boston would burn so much oil to keep electricity prices palatable. I only thought Saudi Arabia wasted their natural resource this way. 

***********************
Winter In North Texas

I have no idea what the temperature was this afternoon in north Texas, in the DFW area. All I know was that I could ride my bike in a short-sleeve, light shirt. It was incredibly unseasonably nice. If this is global warming, I'm all in.

When my wife got home about 8:15 p.m. the first thing she asked was whether we had the heat on (I did not), the apartment felt so warm. We almost turned on the air conditioner. LOL. 

**************************
College Football Championship

I tried watching but the commercial interruptions were interminable. I'm watching TCM, blogging, and in a few minutes my wife and I will watch Perry Mason re-runs. I will check in on the game near the end of the fourth quarter.  Later, 9:54 p.m. CT: I just checked in on the Alabama - Georgia game. Didn't see the score; commercial break.

********************
Great Day

I couldn't be in a greater mood. I'll provide some details later, if I remember. Hints: Apple and Jamie Dimon.

2 comments:

  1. New England ISO users are paying the price for lack of new gas pipeline, no fracking in state of New York. Another solution would be is to lease a LGN tanker and have it flagged in the USA so it could go port to port in USA. (only USA flagged ships can move freight from USA port to USA port).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so correct; there are so many solutions. Truly amazing. I think the question that needs to be asked: who is making money off this scheme? My hunch: this goes back decades and the last thing the folks making money off they racket was to stop the pipelines and they were incredibly successful in getting the likes of Greta Thunberg to stop these pipelines. This doesn't take a lot of deep thinking to know what's going on.

      Delete