Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Technology Is Simply Amazing -- September 1, 2021

Not a day goes by that I'm not impressed by technology. 

Regular readers know I give examples on a regular basis. 

Here's another one. 

On the first of every month, I receive an e-mail alert from my cell phone provider that my monthly statement is ready to be viewed and ready for payment. 

I've been with Sprint for decades, and was somewhat upset when Sprint was acquired by T-Mobile. I've always been impressed with T-Mobile and had considered to switch from Sprint to T-Mobile over the years, but their coverage was a bit spotty in some areas that I often traveled. 

Having said that, I was familiar with Sprint, their webpage, their statements, userid and passwords, etc., and didn't want to switch to T-Mobile even though it was probably going to be awesome. 

LOL.

I have three phones on my account with Sprint, now Sprint-T-Mobile, some day, T-Mobile. 

I still have to switch out the current Sprint SIM card with the new T-Mobile card.

Memo to self.

Anyway, today, I got my monthly bill. Long story short, it was not what I expected.

I contacted Sprint-T-Mobile on line, and the usual "chat" line opened up.

Everything was in order; I was quite impressed; and we moved on.

The webpage had changed, that was fine, but Sprint-T-Mobile said that the bill would be paid by an automatic withdrawal from my bank account (auto-pay) on the 15th of each month and that by so-doing I would save $5 / line, or in this case, $15/ month. 

I have never, never enrolled in autopay but Sprint-T-Mobile said it had already been set up and that's how it would be paid. 

I did not discuss this with Sprint-T-Mobile but I figured it out. No, I had never had autopay -- I checked my bank statements while waiting to talk to a Sprint-T-Mobile employee. But it appears that Sprint-T-Mobile simply set up an auto-pay account using my paper check history of how I've paid monthly bills for the past several decades. 

Very, very clever. 

Nothing to do on my part. It was just sort of "sneaky." 

But I'm saving $15/month and I didn't have to do a thing. I set a calendar reminder to ensure that the bill is paid. And we move on.

2 comments:

  1. I trust you have the T-Mobile veteran's deal? Hard to beat, four lines for around $100/mo (tax included). Give them a couple more bucks and they throw in Net-Flix. Oy Vey, such a deal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, wow, wow, I was unaware of that. T-Mobile does have a promotion going on now which includes Netflix for free ... I learned about that today -- but not about the veterans' package -- though you told me that many months ago, before I knew I was going to be a T-Mobile customer. I will follow through on that. Thank you.

      Delete