Saturday, March 21, 2020

Daily Note, Early Afternoon Edition -- March 21, 2020

Updates

Sunday, March 22, 2020: it's 9:00 a.m. and I'm still laying in bed. Not one responsibility until Sophia comes over later today. Nothing, nada, zilch. But I'm starting to stir. First thing: coffee. I have plenty of coffee. All kinds, but the Keurig which I thought I would never use -- it was a Christmas gift two years ago -- I love it. I still have a box half full of the "k" cups. But note: half full. Not a full box. Time to re-order. Two clicks or so, and a confirmation e-mail from Amazon that my order has shipped. 

Later, 8:39 p.m. CT: what an incredibly great day. Along with so much else, three back-to-back movies: "Bullitt," "Dial M For Murder," and, "Wait Until Dark." Of the three, one makes my "top-ten-movie" list.

Top ten movies.

Original Post

Twitter: A quick scroll through twitter reveals not much has changed.

Saudi surge: Apparently, not one Saudi crude oil tanker has yet reached US shores since the "announcement." Of course, this needs to be fact-checked but it comes from a fairly "reliable" if biased twit. I remember going through this drill some years ago. Same ol', same ol.' Regardless, Saudi is in a fight for its very survival. Glad to hear they feel "comfortable" giving away their lifeblood at

Price of gasoline: I've yet to hear many American consumers complain about price of gasoline coming down.

Seasonal flu: no one knows the real numbers. Most folks with "seasonal flu" probably manage the illness on their own, without seeing a physician or being tested. One can pick almost any number within a range, but for ballpark figures, the numbers are easy to remember, for the US, annual flu season, early October to late March:
  • 30 million cases
  • 300,000 hospitalizations
  • 30,000 deaths 
Amazon: it's hard to break old habits. I used to buy most grocery items and small unimportant every day items at the local grocer, Target, or Walmart. Now, every time a) I need something, b) think I might need something, or c) a family member says they need something, I order immediately from Amazon. I'm no longer waiting to "group" items. A number of items are out of stock at Amazon, but one can check daily which is easier than going to a local store. A few minutes ago I ordered rice. Amazon is pretty much out of rice, but there is still some left. The key here, for non-perishables, don't start looking when you are running out. Keep your pantry at the two- to four-week level. When you open a new package of any non-perishable, simply re-order at that time.

Meanwhile on TCM: "Creature From the Black Lagoon." I've turned the volume off (mute) but keeping it on in the background. Sort of how I used to watch NFL football games. For the life of me I can't figure out why these folks haven't left the "black lagoon" unless their boat, the Rita, is out of fuel or disabled. Let's see, Julie Adams born in 1926, the movie came out in 1954, she would have been about 28 years of age; in some scenes she looks much younger. I see they have just killed the monster. Kind of sad. Julie Adams died in 2019 at the age of 92.

Now, "Bullitt." Awesome.

Gardening: I'll probably plant a lemon tree on the patio (in one of those huge planters). It's a long, long story; lots of memories. My apartment complex neighbor has a lemon tree on her patio. She's had it since 2002. No typo. Since 2002. Also herbs (thyme, and rosemary). And, no, I will have to buy all of this locally, and not through Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment