Thursday, August 8, 2019

ETP Plans VLCC-Capable Crude Export Terminal Near Nederland, TX -- August 8, 2019

Earlier we posted ETP's 2Q19 earnings. Now this: Energy Transfer plans VLCC-capable crude export terminal near Nederland.

For newbies (including myself on this one): Nederland is up-coast from Houston, right on the water, abutting Port Arthur.

If you can imagine a very, very flat triangle with Houston at the apex, and Nederland at the northeast corner, Corpus Christi would be several hundred miles to the southwest, at the third corner.

To wit (only because I'm getting so much grief): 


From the linked article:
  • developer sees advantage in supply diversity from Canada, Bakken, Permian 
  • joins seven other deepwater ports competing to move next wave of US exports 
  • five VLCC-capable projects have filed applications for federal permits
  • Other data points:
    • the project would connect to the company's 28-million-bbl Nederland, TX, terminal
    • Nederland: claims to have the largest above-ground storage in the country
    • pipelines from Canada, Cushing, West Texas
    • once approved, it would take at least 2 1/2 years to complete
  • ETP owns the 570,000 bopd DAPL that moves about 40% of Bakken production
    • ETP plans to expand that capacity to 1.1 million b/d by late 2020 (that would be next  year)
  • five of seven planned projects have filed federal applications:
    • Trafigura's Texas Gulf Terminal and Phillip 66's Bluewater Texas Terminal off Corpus Christi
    • Enterprise's Sea Port Oil Terminal off Houston
    • Enbridge's Texas COLT and Sentinal Midstream's Texas GulfLink off Freeport (Freeport is due south of Houston, right on the Gulf)

4 comments:

  1. based on Houston and Port Arthur, i had a pretty good idea where Nederland is...but when you put that triangle out there, i lost it completely...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. Maybe I should not have done that. But for me, I now have an image of those three locations "burned" in my mind forever. But sorry that I screwed it up for you. LOL.

      Delete
    2. yeah, but you might be the only person in Texas who'd go from Houston to Nederland by way of Corpus Christi..

      Delete
    3. When (and if) I'm in the mood to write a long story, I will tell the story of just how I did something similar when I was in the Air Force, but it had to do with flying from Turkey (the country) to Washington, DC, via San Antonio.

      Following that little debacle, the USAF IG got involved (the third or fourth time I had a run-in with the USAF inspector general) but they realized I was such an idiot, no fraud could have been intended.

      But that's a story for another day.

      However, after I post this reply, I will post the map / triangle. LOL.

      Delete