Friday, December 21, 2018

The Market, Energy, Political Page, T+46 -- December 21, 2018

Steel slats, wence, the wall? I guess it's back to the wall. From President Trump this morning --
The Democrats are trying to belittle the concept of a Wall, calling it old fashioned. The fact is there is nothing else’s that will work, and that has been true for thousands of years. It’s like the wheel, there is nothing better. I know tech better than anyone, & technology.....
Vince Lombardi: winners never quit and quitters never win. That was posted in the Williston High School Coyote locker room. It was probably the first sports quote I ever saw; about the only one I remember. Came to mind this morning for some reason.

New SecDefense: can hardly wait. LOL. Should be another epic performance in the US Senate.

Syria? I thought all this talk about Mattis resigning was due to the "Syria decision." Hardly. This has been discussed for months. People complain that Trump whines when he can't get is own way. It appears no one in Washington is happy if she can't get her own way. Mattis? Can't get his own way? Resigns. And writes a "nasty letter" for posterity. I thought he was a "bigger man" than that. "Mad Dog" Mattis? He must have softened over the years.

Truman: beloved president. "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Two different movies: I can't find it now -- the Baltimore Sun story that was first published in The Washington Post -- the story that examined the Mattis departure. The story referenced "Trump's loss during the 2018 mid-term elections." If I recall correctly, the president's party gained seats in the US Senate and he went 8 for 8, maybe 6 for 8. Whatever. The US House? The swing was much, much worse for Obama at same point years ago. Two different movies.

Fortunate: after reading US press in bed on the iPad before getting up, I can listen to north Texas talk radio coming into work.  

US budget: apparently some US representatives and/or US senators have already left Washington to begin their Christmas break. We'll know more when the final votes are taken to (not) shut down the government.

Notes To The Granddaughters

Thoroughly enjoyed watching The Great Gatsby and Kinky Boots yesterday.

I have to watch the movie every so often to improve my understanding of the geography of Long Island, and the surrounding area. Did I read somewhere that 2/3rds of New City City's population now lives in Queens? Something like that. Both Archie Bunker and Jay Gatsby lived in Queens. But a lot of folks moving out of NYC now, according to news story earlier this week. If so, they're all moving to north Texas.

"Sound": deeper than a bight and wider than a fjord. Wow, that's succinct. I knew what fjord was, but what's a bight? From wiki:
It is distinguished from a sound by being shallower. Traditionally, explorers defined a bight as a bay that could be sailed out of on a single tack in a square-rigged sailing vessel, regardless of the direction of the wind (typically meaning the apex of the bight is less than 25 degrees from the edges). 
On the continuum of such things, then, we have the bight, the sound, and the fjord.

The sound and the fjord. Sounds like that could be a title of a great book.

I finally understand the "geography" of Yale University. 

I'm still working on the index for Karen Armstrong's biography of the Bible. I'm about halfway through but when I'm "complete," I will have to go through it again. But I'm taking a break for now. It will be awhile before I complete the project.

For Christmas break I have gone back to one of my all-time favorites, Keld Zeruneith's The Wooden Horse, c. 2007. Translated from the Danish; it occasionally shows.

After watching the 1948 Oliver Twist, I think I need to read either that book or A Tale of Two Cities. I've read neither. But now, my curiosity is piqued. A trip to Half-Price Bookstores, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment