Tuesday, March 13, 2018

The Political Page, Part 2, T+13 -- March 13, 2018 -- I Never Promised You The Rose Garden

I have not yet decided if this is the theme song for "Passion on the Potomac" but it is certainly in contention, and it certainly fits today's news.

I Never Promised You A Rose Garden, Lynn Anderson

To become the theme song, the lyrics would have to change one small word and two caps. Instead of "I never promised you a rose garden," the theme song needs to be, "I never promised you the Rose Garden."

And, of course, it goes without saying, this will be Mike Pompeo's opening statement at his US Senate confirmation hearings, and yes, it's very, very politically correct in this #MeToo society:

I Will Follow Him, Peggy March

Incidentally, I sang this very song acapella at a going-away party for a fellow USAF commander when stationed in Turkey back in 1993, or thereabouts. And no, no alcohol involved. I practiced that song for about two weeks. My only regret: I didn't grab my squadron commanders as back-up singers. A missed opportunity. There was always competition among commanders to give the best going-away performance. This was so out-of-character for me that had a survey been taken that night, I would have won hands down, to coin a phrase.

No comments:

Post a Comment