Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Kurdistan

Motley Fool is reporting: Kurdistan soon to be independent -- great news for some investors.

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment decisions based on what you read here or what you think you may have read here.

Motley Fool is looking at the Iraqi incursion as an investing event. I am posting this as a geo-political event. The bottom line: analysts think the Sunni-Shiite uncivil war will allow the Kurds to go independent sooner than later. This, I think, WILL happen in my investing lifetime. This could be huge and will provide opportunities for the next US president.

**************************
A Note for the Granddaughters

Some time ago I wrote to say that I had canceled my Bloomberg Businessweek subscription. It was an introductory $10 offer that had expired. I was dismayed by a the childish graphics and the very few articles that interested me. Certainly there was nothing there for a serious investor. It was more Newsweek than Bloomberg Business

Starved for good writing, I subscribed to The New Yorker, the first time in decades. Years ago when I was subscribing to a dozen news magazines and The Wall Street Journal, The New Yorker was always my favorite. I often did not read much of it, but whenever I saw an issue I always felt I was missing something if I wasn't reading it.

I am thrilled to see that The New Yorker has not changed. Unlike BBW which felt it had to change to attract yuppie investors -- is yuppie even a word any more -- The New Yorker stayed true to its past. It overflows with good writing and great authors.

Another thing that surprised me: the heft of the magazine. Last week, the "love" issue was so heavy, I thought it was a double issue. I was surprised to get this week's issue. It too feels like a double issue. The cover price is an outrageous $6.99 and I assume in NYC with all the taxes it comes close to $8.00 at the news stand, unless magazines aren't taxed in NYC which might be possible. Be that as it may. I think one gets about 50 issues each year. The subscription rate is around $70, about $1.40 an issue. And with the subscription one gets access to The New Yorker archives.

At night, after 9:30 p.m. I start my movies for the evening. I always start with "light" entertainment -- generally old television series. Right now, I am just beginning the third season of "Miami Vice." So, it was quite coincidental, and rewarding, to see a full page write-up on Don Johnson in this week's issue of The New Yorker, p. 27 - 28. Apparently at age 64, he's got a new thriller out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment