Friday, September 16, 2011

Proppant Watch -- Bakken, North Dakota, USA

Over on the sidebar at the right, not too far down, is my "Top Ten List."

I have added "Proppant Watch" to that section, in an attempt to learn more about that community. I"m trying to get two things figured out:
  • The favored ceramic proppants in the Bakken and sites of their production
  • And I forget the second thing; maybe those were the two things. Smile.
This has nothing to do with my personal investments. I do not invest in any companies providing proppants, and have no plans to do so, but several readers have asked about proppants. I assume conference calls and annual reports from a couple of the big players would provide much of that information, but with globalization of the industry, it can be hard to sort out what is going on in one area, such as the Bakken.

Oh, yeah, the second thing:
  • Whether the proppants coming up from Texas are still predominantly trucked in or whether it is pretty much all by rail now?

2 comments:

  1. wed. driving on interstate 94 from Miles city MT to Hwy 47 ( hardin MT turnoff, )( this is approx 70 miles) i noticed 6 semi flat bed trailers with bags that appeared to be of Frac sand. These semi's were heading east toward the bakken fields, and appeared to have come from a sand mine near Billings, mt..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don, thank you. I guess you told me, or someone did, that there are two frac plants in North Dakota.

    As we move into the "manufacturing phase," fracking is going to be the big story. Drilling seems to be the easy part. Oasis is reaching total depth in 18 days now.

    ReplyDelete