Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

This will be the last word on the subject except for updates.

Some folks are still under the illusion that the EPA and fracking can co-exist. The most recent comment I received took this paragraph from the EPA Website:
Based on the information collected and reviewed, EPA has concluded that the injection of hydraulic fracturing fluids into coalbed methane wells poses little or no threat to USDWs and does not justify additional study at this time. This decision is consistent with the process outlined in the April, 2001 Final Study Design, in which EPA indicated that it would determine whether further investigation was needed after analyzing the Phase I information. Specifically, EPA determined that it would not continue into Phase II of the study if the investigation found that no hazardous constituents were used in fracturing fluids, hydraulic fracturing did not increase the hydraulic connection between previously isolated formations, and reported incidents of water quality degradation were attributed to other, more plausible causes. 
I guess that's why the EPA is now studying the issue, has four meetings planned, and has "a plan" written and ready to go:
WASHINGTON, DC, June 21, 2010 (as in last week) -- The US Environmental Protection Agency has scheduled four public meetings on its proposed study of the relationship between hydraulic fracturing and its potential impacts on drinking water supplies.

The meetings will be held July 8 in Fort Worth; July 13 in Denver; July 22 in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania; and Aug. 12 in Binghampton, New York. EPA said it will accept comments on the proposed study at the meetings. Stakeholders planning to attend a meeting are asked to register at least 72 hr in advance.

The meetings will provide information about the proposed study’s scope and design, EPA said in a June 18 announcement. It said it sought guidance from its independent science advisory board to support initial planning and guide the plan’s development. 
All I can say is this: a) either the EPA is inconsistent; or, b) it is wasting taxpayer money studying a issue it says is a non-issue. I've long forgotten the difference between Phase I and Phase II, and exactly what phase the EPA is in. I know I'm out of phase with regard to the EPA. 

UPDATE: July 14, 2010: tangentially related to the EPA, is the Delaware River Basin Commission which is also trying to decide whether to maintain its moratorium on drilling/fracking. My hunch: if the state commission is seen as being lax by the EPA, the EPA will step in and take over. EPA rules and regulations likely to be national, not local. 

2 comments:

  1. I submitted the EPA info but I don't think they are acting in good faith either. I think they want to declare Fracturing unsafe, so they need to bury the previous findings and come up with new findings. One of my largest holdings is KOG and the EPA makes me very nervous. Thank you for all of your valuable input. Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Again, I really appreciate the feedback. I will try to keep this site from becoming too contentious, political, controversial, but with some issues it is important that investors, especially newbies, understand the risks. No one could have predicted the BP blowout in the Gulf, but new rules and regulations regarding fracturing are certainly possible, if not probable. Again, thank you for you comments.

    Having said that, I will periodically post my thoughts/comments that are purely opinion and controversial. It keeps the site interesting.

    ReplyDelete