Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Which Apple Tablet -- iPad -- Is Best? -- June 30, 2020

A reader wrote to tell me that a family member needs to upgrade to a new Apple tablet, and asking what I thought.

Here is my not-ready-for-prime-time reply. I'm posting it because I'm curious if others might want to weigh in.
Wow, that's a tough one -- knowing nothing about the user and what the tablet will be used for, but here goes.

There are so many variables and the "personality" of the user; where they plan to use the iPad, etc.

To begin, there are three choices:
  • iPad Pro -- high end
  • iPad Air -- some say a compromise between high end and low end; I think it's much better than a compromise; I think it's high end;
  • iPad -- low end, the "original" as it were
You can see I did not even consider the fourth Apple choice, iPad mini.

1. If they plan to use it as a computer in addition to the tablet, then one has to move up to the iPad Pro.

2. If one just wants the tablet, then either the iPad Air or the iPad.

3. I never thought I would want a "big" tablet, but now my 10.2 inch (or whatever size it is) almost seems too small. I find I prefer "larger the better" when it comes to tablets.

4. iPad Air comes in one size, apparently, 10.5.

5. iPad Pro comes in larger (11-inch) and largest (12.9-inch).

6. It seems the iPad (10.2 inch) is starting to show its age.
7. The iPad Pro seems to be for the really, really serious user who really plans on using the tablet for a computer as much as a tablet. Since I do my heavy "lifting" on a laptop, I don't need the iPad Pro.

8. That comes down to the iPad Air for me. Only one size, so that helps.

9. Most important after you decide what model to get: how much memory. I would not want less than 256 GB which appears "basic" for the iPad Air, so that helps.

10. As long as I have my iPhone, I have never needed cellular for my laptop or tablet. Adding another cellular device simply adds an unneeded monthly expense for me and dealing with the phone company. So unless there is a reason for cellular, I would stick with wi-fi only. If price and setting up cellular with the phone company is not an issue, then it would be up to the user whether they feel cellular is necessary.

11. Most important after deciding on the tablet: get the latest version of the Apple Pencil. As far as I know, that's 2nd generation. But the Apple Pencil -- even though it's expensive -- is a must have. I bought the tablet first and then a year or so later got the Apple Pencil -- helped flatten the curve on initial cost. That's an option. Get the family member the tablet now and once the individual is used to it, surprise him/her with the $129 pencil.

12. I'm probably missing something, but that's where I'm at, at the moment.

13. It's funny, even if money were not an issue, I'm not sure I would want the iPad Pro -- I really don't know. My hunch is it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I do my heavy "lifting," as I said, on the laptop, and then use the tablet mostly for surfing the net while laying down in bed.

14. Now, let's see what the pros suggest:

Well, that article didn't help me. Simply re-stated the techs. It still comes down to the user preference and what they plan to use the tablet for.
I'm curious to your thoughts (much abbreviated, I'm sure) as you go through the process.

So, there you have it.

iPad Air, wi-fi only, at least 256 GB (which is basic model), and an Apple pencil.
And get it at Costco, if available.

No comments:

Post a Comment