When the Saudis turned on the spigots in October, 2014, the middle Bakken was pretty much mapped out. That doesn't mean operators/frackers knew the best way to complete a middle Bakken, but they pretty much had it mapped out. They were just beginning to start that process in the first bench of the Three Forks; they were already going down that road, but for all intents and purposes, had only just begun, as Karen Carpenter would say.
A few operators, notably CLR, had started testing the second and third bench of the Three Forks but the slump in oil prices has probably extended that process by another decade, if not longer. Early Three Forks wells and comments by Lynn Helms suggested to me that the first bench would rival the middle Bakken (on a well-by-well comparison, not total formation production; it appears the Three Forks is a smaller formation); the third bench might be good in certain areas, but the second bench might not be all that exciting. For the record, the well below is said to be a second bench well.
This well comes off the confidential list today (April 8, 2016):
- 30776, 1,345, Whiting, Flatland Federal 11-4-3TFH, Twin Valley, Three Forks 2nd cycle, 31 stages, 4.2 million lbs, t10/15; cum 206K 9/16; only 24 days in February, 16 days in November, 8 days in October, 2015. Whiting took all Flatland wells off-line in August and September, 2016. Drilled to vertical depth and the curve in five days. Total depth of the south lateral was reached in ten days from spud. Gas: 800 to 1,000 units. Connection gases as high as 7,958 units, with a 3' to 5' flare. At 21,505 feet it's a lot of pipe.
|Pool||Date||Days||BBLS Oil||Runs||BBLS Water||MCF Prod||MCF Sold||Vent/Flare|
- for newbies, something "fun" to watch, posted June 17, 2015
- the incredible Twin Valley oil field
- record fracking; in excess of 90 stages, posted April 6, 2015
- random update on these wells, posted January 7, 2015
- All's well that ends well, posted November 29, 2014
- Whiting reporting some huge wells, posted April 5, 2016
- Another look at some incredible Whiting wells, November 25, 2014