Thursday, August 11, 2022

Day 2 Of The NASDAQ Bull Market -- August 11, 2022

Updates

Later, 7:52 a.m. MT: link here. This is why EVs will not appreciate in price folks actually pay for them. Government will increase tax credits by amount elite auto makers increase car prices. So, yes, zero percent inflation. The president has this one right.

Original Post  

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site.  Do not make any investment, financial, job, career, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here. Full disclaimer at tabbed link.

All my posts are done quickly: there will be content and typographical errors. If anything on any of my posts is important to you, go to the source. If/when I find typographical / content errors, I will correct them.

Currently I am on the road: my notes will be less frequent, perhaps shorter. I will not get to my e-mail as often and I will not be able to post comments as often or in a timely manner. 

Golf, match tournment, PGA vs LIV. PGA wins first round 

The PGA Tour and LIV Golf players’ first court hearing included major revelations about the LIV golfers’ deals—leading to the judge’s decision to deny an effort for three of them to play in the FedEx Cup Playoffs.

Irrelevant: when does a professional male golfer become irrelevant?

  •  when he does not win a PGA tournament in over five years.

Totally irrelevant: when does a professional golfer become totally irrelevant?

  • when he only plays three-day tournaments
  • when he only plays eight tournaments / year
  • Exhibit A: when did we last see Phil play?

US equity market futures: all I can say, I'm thrilled I'm fully invested.

Sorry? You will be if you sold / will sell any of these seven, link here:

  • Dish Network
  • MRO
  • BKR
  • Warner Bros Discovery -- readers know my feelings on pure-play streaming companies
  • News Corp
  • GM -- readers know my feelings on elite vehicle companies
  • Alaska Air Group
  • me? I wouldn't invest in any of the above. I hold a few shares in two of the seven but only due to spin-offs or legacy stocks (bought decades ago)

Cost of renewables; Ford to increase prices of its elite vehicle (EV) F-150 Lightning. Link here.
the price increase = the federal tax credit = $7,000

  • $110,000+ after taxes, finance charges, destination/delivery fee, government fees, finance chargs, deal processing charges, electronic filing charge, and an emission testing charge fee are added in
  • note: not all of the above charges will apply
  • $7,000 / $110,000 = 6% 
  • most other elite automakers have also increased taxes for the same reasons: to make a profit

Rivian: a "zombie" company. Link here.

Oil forecast:

  • demand will increase in 2022
  • as countries burn oil to produce electricity. Link here.
  • I'm lovin it
  • oil prices rose by over 1% on Thursday after the International Energy Agency raised its oil demand growth forecast for this year as soaring natural gas prices drive some consumers to switch to oil.

Disney: reality sucks. Link here. Also, here. Me? Not investing in either EVs or streaming.

  • the moat for streaming original content: deep pockets 
  • Disney+ streaming: from $7.99 to $10.99 / month (a 38% increase in price)
  • Disney+ with ads: $7.99 / month

The price increases reflect the growing operating loss for Disney’s streaming services. Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ combined to lose $1.1 billion in the fiscal third quarter, $300 million more than the average analyst estimate, reflecting the higher cost of content on the services
The increased operating loss occurred even while Disney added about 15 million new Disney+ subscribers in the quarter, about 5 million more than analysts estimated
Disney has previously stated it plans to lose money on Disney+ until 2024. Chief Financial Officer Christine McCarthy reiterated on Wednesday’s earnings conference call that Disney+’s losses will peak during the company’s fiscal 2022.

 
Disclaimer
: this is not an investment site.  Do not make any investment, financial, job, career, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here. Full disclaimer at tabbed link
.

All my posts are done quickly: there will be content and typographical errors. If anything on any of my posts is important to you, go to the source. If/when I find typographical / content errors, I will correct them.

Currently I am on the road: my notes will be less frequent, perhaps shorter. I will not get to my e-mail as often and I will not be able to post comments as often or in a timely manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment