Sunday, January 13, 2019

Winter Storm GIA -- January 13, 2019; Meanwhile In Austria: Ten Feet Of Snow In 48 Hours; More On The Way

Updates

February 1 2019: the cover and the table of contents for the January 26 - February 1, 2019, issue of The Economist. It is my thesis that The Economist suffers from Trump Derangement Syndrome. I made the comment some time ago that if one had not business magazine other than The Economist one would think there is nothing else going on in the world other than the Trump presidency. I don't even recall many articles on "Brexit." This issue continues to prove the point. I did not find the word "Brexit" on the cover or in the table of contents, but certainly a lot related to Trump:





January 21, 2019: the cover and the table of contents for the January 5 - January 11, 2019, issue of The Economist.This was about the time Brexit and Theresa May were coming a head, first with the parliament voting against May's Brexit bill and thus triggering a "no-confidence" vote. May survived that vote. This issue of The Economist does not mention the word "Brexit" on the cover or in the table of contents, save for a lone letter to the editor. My impression of The Economist remains unchanged from the original post.



Original Post

I see ISO New England spiked to $115/MW earlier this evening.

***************************
Sunday Night Reading

Readers may want to scan the headlines over at zerohedge before the week begins and we start getting inundated with fake news from US media outlets, and anti-American op-eds from The Economist. I don't subscribe to The Economist (a British weekly) but I generally scan a copy every week. If that's all one had to read, one would get the feeling that the only country with any economic challenges is the US. I don't recall much being written about Brexit.

******************************
Austria Ski Slopes -- Too Much Snow

We were stationed overseas for thirteen consecutive years -- my wife says it was fourteen consecutive years. Most of those years were in continental Europe or in England. Every winter we went skiing in the Alps, either in Germany or in Switzerland.

Austria was particularly remarkable.

Now this, in today's news, from iceagenow:


Great memories. If I had all the money in the world, I would have a house in the Boston, MA, area and a house in Yorkshire, England. We would go skiing every winter in Austria. Or maybe we would just enjoy glühwein in front of the fireplaces inside the chalets, watching the younger skiers.

*****************************
Movin' On Out

From zerohedge:


Native North Dakotans are all moving to Phoenix.

Look at the "gainers": Nevada; Idaho (maybe more on this later); Arizona; South Carolina; Colorado; Delaware (interesting); North Carolina; Oregon; and, Florida. Montana is up there, also. What the table does not show is that the folks that move are the folks that can afford to move. Note where NY and California fall on the curve.

***********************
Amazon Echo Dot

I'm having a blast with Alexa. And, yes, we now "subscribe" to Amazon Music Unlimited. My wife does not know that yet, that I am listening to AMU for thirty days free to see what it is like, but she keeps coming in to tell me how wonderful Amazon Music / Echo Dot is. Something tells me I will continue to subscribe after the introductory free period.

Yes, it's worth it.

I Don't Remember Loving You, John Conlee

********************************
 And So It Goes

A couple of years ago when visiting Grand Canyon National Park, our daughters came across these old "ATT shells." I do not recall if they knew what they were -- or if I explained the shells to them. Can't recall.

But for the archives. Olivia,  using the old landline to talk to her older sister using her wireless phone.

4 comments:

  1. Economist story statistics straight from an issue two weeks ago. Brexit clicks highlighted: https://imgur.com/a/hGNOIjt

    I'd be hard pressed to find an issue in the last year that doesn't have a Brexit article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. It was just my impression based on front cover, highlighted stories, op-eds, amount of space devoted to Trump, and then .... finally ... some things on Brexit.

      Delete
    2. If one googles "The Economist" -- covers -- images --

      Right now, there are 339 images at google associated with covers of "The Economist."

      Most of them are covers. Some are not. Some are repeats. I doubt if covers of all 52 issues are shown.

      If a person shows up on the cover of "The Economist," it is most likely going to be Trump. Second is Putin. Third is China's XI.

      I may have missed it but I did not see one cover with BREXIT as a banner or in large type of any sort. It was as BREXIT did not exist in 2018 if one were to simply scan the covers. Again, I did not see all covers. I'm only explaining why it was my impression that "The Economist" was more obsessed with US politics than their own country's politics.

      There were two covers (probably more) that specifically referred to or mentioned British politics, but of the 339 images, very, very rare.

      Delete
  2. The chart I shared that focuses on the last 150 years of coverage by person, Trump appears to be unmatched in coverage. His whole rise to power, seems to me, was with the strategy of creating controversy and stealing the spotlight. We'd be better off not having him be the focus of the news 24/7, but news is a business and they put out what sells.

    Hard to imagine that threatening a NATO ally would take a back seat to Bozo and Pocahontas in a few hour span of a Sunday night. The golden age Simpson's writer's room couldn't come up with better distractions. My favorite of all time paired with the top comment: https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/257552283850653696?lang=en

    ReplyDelete