Monday, March 3, 2014

Correction?

I mentioned the other day that Home of Economy in Williston might have the largest selection of  Carhartt in the country. It was just a WAG; I really didn't know. I also mentioned that Home of Economy must have recently had their grand opening, but again, I did not know for sure.

Now, today, while eating my maple long john and drinking great coffee at Go-GO Donuts on Main Street in Williston, I saw a note on the front page that said the Williston Home of Economy had the largest selection of Carhartt FR in the country (FR = flame resistant).

In that same note, the "grand opening" was mentioned, so it either happened or is in the process of happening. Either way, it's the best story in the region for work clothes, at least from my perspective.

*********************************
Porcupine Hunting -- Only In The Bakken

I left early this morning to drive over to Grenora to take some photos of oil wells for a friend. I had to turn back; the blowing snow made it simply too dangerous. I might try again later this afternoon. If I can't get there today, it will have to wait. I plan to start my trip back to Texas tomorrow.

Having said that, it was not a wasted trip (no trip in western North Dakota is a wasted trip, by the way). I heard an interesting live report from the field, the hayfield. It turns out the reporter was out and about yesterday with his dog when he came upon a porcupine. He couldn't risk going after the porcupine with the dog with him. Porcupine quills generate a force field that attract dogs. Not a pretty sight.

So, the reporter came back to the hayfield this morning without his dog. Porcupines strip the bark off trees which kills the trees, and because there are so few trees in western North Dakota, local residents do what they can to protect them. So the reporter, live reporting from the field, figured out where the porcupine might be and while reporting live, he caught up with the porcupine and then fired a shot from his 22-hand-gun -- at least I think he said it was a hand-gun, not a rifle -- and killed the porcupine. A second shot was heard, just to make sure. He sells the porcupine to an outfit in Salt Lake City for $5/pelt. Apparently they use pretty much all of the pelt to make moccasins, etc. They probably sent the quills to Washington, DC, for bureaucrats to use.

*******************************

By the way, speaking of trees, some years ago, my brother was giving me directions to where his horse might be running loose during the winter. He told me to drive north of Williston, about 8 or 9 miles and then when I came to the tree -- yes, when I came to THE tree -- I was to turn right on the gravel road.

I found the tree, and his horse.

Today, I suppose his directions would be to drive north 8 or 9 miles and when I came to the oil rig....

No comments:

Post a Comment