Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Avis Buys Zipcar -- Obviously Not About The Bakken

Wow, this is quite a story: Avis busy Zipcar.

Zipcar is in Boston (as well as other major US cities). I see their cars every once in awhile. I think I read not too long ago that Zipcar has not made a profit in ten (10) years. That makes the story surprising. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
However, Zipcar has struggled to grow its presence in smaller cities to counter the threat of a saturating market in bigger cities. It is also encountering increased competition from traditional car rental companies such as Hertz Global Holdings Inc and Enterprise.
My favorite car rental company: Enterprise. In those cities where I spend a fair amount of time, but don't have a car, Enterprise is my first choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment