Thursday, December 22, 2011

Williston Sales Tax Receipts Surge Past Fargo's -- Largest in the State -- The Bakken, North Dakota, USA

Link here.

Before quoting the lede, I do have to make a comment.

Occasionally there is talk from North Dakotans about the "relationship" between the east side of the state, the west site of the state, and "Bismarck."

I think today's Bismarck Tribune headline for this story is a great example.

The headline: "Taxable Sales Up Nearly 40 Percent in Third Quarter."

No exciting action verb; simply "up nearly."

And a boring statistic in the headline: 40 percent. Many folks' eyes glaze over when they see "percent."

THIS was the story: "Williston's Taxable Sales Surge Past Fargo."

It wasn't even close. After flirting for the past year with beating Fargo's taxable sales, Williston shot past Fargo this quarter: $721 million vs $654 million. And that little tidbit isn't even mentioned until the third paragraph. [Apparently Williston passed Fargo in 2Q11; see comments below. If so, that fact really makes my point. Here's the link; I probably even linked it earlier; just completely forgot. Interestingly, the 2Q11 numbers were almost identical: $722 million for Williston; $654.5 for Fargo. You know, rounding off, Williston is getting close to a $1 billion in taxable sales. ]

Williams County has surpassed Cass County in the past, and I bet this quarter, it will be even more incredible.

Perhaps from a national perspective the headline and the focus made sense. For a state newspaper, it was obvious that Williston was slighted. This is the first time ever Williston beat out Fargo (as far as I know). It was a big deal for Williston. But it didn't get the headline, and it didn't even get into the lede. Here's the lede:
North Dakota's taxable sales and purchases increased nearly 40 percent in the third quarter of 2011 as compared to 2010, the fifth consecutive quarter of more than 25 percent growth compared to the prior year.

Taxable sales and purchases during July, August and September of this year were $5.48 billion, up $1.5 billion compared to the third quarter of 2010, according to a report released Wednesday by the office of the state tax commissioner.
And then after that, not another word about the oil patch in the Williston Basin. If this were nationally slanted, no one would know that that this is due to oil. If the word "oil" was mentioned in that article, I missed it.

But there was quite a bit of ink devoted to the sales tax receipts due to the Bismarck-Mandan and the Minot flooding -- which happened in the second quarter.

Anyway, shouting from the Killdeer Mountains to the Red River Valley, Williston's sales tax receipts surged past Fargo; and, it wasn't even close.

5 comments:

  1. Williston passed fargo in the second quarter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can get me the link, I will correct that.

    I know that Williams County passed Cass County, but I was not aware that the city of Williston passed Fargo. But I could be wrong; probably am.

    But, if so, it proves my point. I follow the news pretty closely and had Williston passed Fargo, I can't remember seeing that headline -- although I do forget a lot these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob is correct. I forgot that. I probably even blogged/linked it, but, if so, completely forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulation Williston goes to show how energy development is a job and economic powerhouse.

    Probably won't get recondition for that because envy and jealousy. Oh well that is their problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I find it interesting how the energy story seems to be glossed over so often. I guess I see everything through oily-covered glasses and the rest of the world has a life, rather than just being focused on oil. Smile.

    Actually, my number one focus is (are?) my granddaughters; my second focus is on my reading program. But I love blogging about the Bakken.

    ReplyDelete