Monday, April 30, 2012

2560 Acre Spacing -- Kittleson Slough -- The Bakken, North Dakota, USA

This is an interesting bit of trivia and may be an interesting thread to follow over at the Bakken Shale Discussion Group.

The Kittleson Slough field is pretty much spaced at 1280-acre, some 640-acres, but there are eight wells on 2560-acre spacing.
  • 20006, 268, EOG, Lostwood 21-1402H, Kittleson Slough,
  • 20008, 288, EOG, Lostwood 22-1423H, Kittleson Slough,
  • 20009, 407, EOG, Lostwood 6-1102H, Kittleson Slough,
  • 20010, 327, EOG, Lostwood 20-1123H, Kittleson Slough,
  • 19944, conf, EOG, Lostwood 2-1301H, Kittleson Slough,
  • 19945, conf, EOG, Lostwood 19-1324H, Kittleson Slough,
  • 19942, conf, EOG, Lostwood 1-1201H, Kittleson Slough,
  • 19943, conf, EOG, Lostwood 18-1224H, Kittleson Slough,
IPs less than 500 bopd are holding 2,560 acres by production. This is a bit misleading because an owner of any mineral acre in any of the four sections will participate in two four wells, if that makes sense. At least that's how I understand it. I could be wrong. Follow the discussion over at the link.

See first comment to explain the mistake I made (and corrected above). 

3 comments:

  1. Bruce, right idea but wrong number (4 instead of 2). An owner of any mineral acre in one of these units will share in four wells. The size of the units dilute a mineral owner's percentage of ownership, yet the owner shares in production from all four wells in each unit. Since these wells appear with similar production, in the end it looks like a bit of a push.

    The first four wells you listed (with IP's) are all in one of the 2,560 acre units (sections 2, 11, 14, & 23). The next four wells listed (conf) are in EOG's other 2,560 unit (sections 1, 12, 13 & 24).

    I'm not a fan of these mega-drilling units. Yet in EOG's defense, at least they drilled four in each one rather than drilling a single well on each to simply hold all the acres (2,560) by production.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You are absolutely correct. It was a dumb mistake on my part. I have a small monitor (laptop) and switching back and forth I "didn't see" the four wells in my mind. Had I been "home" with my big monitor or two screens, I would have seen it. No excuse for dumb mistake.

      Thank you for correcting me. I will correct the main post.

      Delete
    2. Again, a big thank you to the reader for noting my mistake and taking time to explain it.

      I, too, was amazed/surprised/impressed that EOG (I wasn't even paying attention to the operator) who put in these four wells in this 2560-acre spacing unit.

      I was pre-occupied with the 2560-acre spacing unit; all the twists and turns in the Bakken.

      Delete