Saturday, April 18, 2020

For The Archives -- Spring Snowstorm Shatters Records -- April 18, 2020

From AccuWeather, April 18, 2020:
Despite the calendar reading mid-April and Americans preparing to stow away their winter jackets, winter hit rewind on 2020, dumping record-breaking snow totals on the High Plains region Thursday night (April 16, 2020).
Through Friday morning, that snow turned treacherous in its path towards the East Coast, causing traffic hazards in the Great Lakes region.
In Nebraska, daily snow total records were smashed in cities like Lincoln and Grand Island following Thursday's spring storm. Farther east, by the border of Iowa, numerous areas around Omaha topped 5 inches, according to the National Weather Service (NWS).
The amount of snow was not trivial. 


The cool weather in north Texas persists. I'm getting tired of this long, dragged out spring. North Texas has already broken all records for precipitation this calendar year -- something like 122 years -- I forget the exact number -- but essentially since records were kept -- and that was in March. It's been a long, cold, wet spring.

*******************************
Crawfish Season

Gol-dang it. I just realized I'm missing crawfish season.  I'll check in with my favorite crawfish restaurant on Monday. For takeout. Their website says they are open for takeout. $5.99 a pound. I really don't care about the price this year.

*******************************
Amazing Technology

For the archives. I put this in my journal this evening (edited, of course, for the blog):
Still in nationwide lock down. I’m watching “Casablanca” on Turner Classic Movies. Updating my calendar. I see an entry for a “Zoe _________” birthday coming up. Zoe was one year old in 2002. I was TDY, Menwith Hill, Yorkshire, when I met her and her parents. She was adopted. I really, really liked her dad. I doubt he remembers me. I think about Zoe periodically. As a pediatrician I met her once or twice when she was one or two years old. I googled the name, thinking that “Zoe __________” might be a bit unique. And, voila. Wow. Several hits — and all the same person — a preppie at _______________ Prep School in [western] MD. Her dad was in a federal service and it would be likely the family is living/working in the DC area. It appears she is a “star” player on the school’s girls’ soccer team. Tears come to my eyes. It’s so touching to see how things turned out for Zoe. I wonder if she has siblings. I wonder how her parents are doing. I would love to send a note to her prep school to give to her but it’s probably best not. No purpose to be served.
As noted Zoe was adopted. I wish I were less of a romantic; I wear nostalgia on my sleeves, as they say.

Wow, no matter how many times I watch "Casablanca" I never tire of seeing it. It seems I always see something I did not see before.

"We'll always have Paris."

For me, I'll always have Menwith Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment