Friday, July 24, 2020

ND Monthly Oil Production Statistics -- May, 2020

This will be a most interesting spreadsheet to follow over the next few months.

Link here. At that link click on this:

*******************************
The Nature Page

Ten years ago, when our oldest granddaughter was six, and her sister was three, I had a 5-minute "learning" binder that we would go through every afternoon after school.

The 5-minute "learning" binder was a binder with about ten document protectors each with a document devoted to a single subject. If they were not interested, we could go through the binder in about five minutes, flipping through each page with a reminder / agenda of items to explore.

If they were interested, we could stop on any one document and spend as much time as we wanted. For example, one document was "weather." The girls learned how to give a comprehensive weather report, and something I still do with Sophia on the way into Tutor Time each morning.

Another document was "birds of prey."

Because of the newly identified Swainson's hawks in the area, I recently reviewed the "birds of prey" document and updated it, placing it on the internet for easy access.

One of the birds of prey that always intrigued me is/was the "secretarybird" -- no space between "secretary" and "bird." I've never seen one, in a zoo or in the movies. Until tonight.

How coincidental. Tonight while watching Mogambo on TCM, there was a short scene of a secretarybird -- so now I can say I've actually seen a secretarybird -- even if it was on film.

But talk about a coincidence.

Another coincidence. I would absolutely have had no interest in this movie except for the fact I recently spent quite a bit of time reading / studying / researching White Mischief by James Fox which made Mogambo so much more relevant for me. Pretty amazing. Filmed in Kenya. Most likely in/near Nairobi.

*****************************
Word For The Day

Palfrey

I had never seen this word before. Of all things I stumbled across it in Bettany Hughes' "biography" of Helen of Troy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment