Tuesday, May 9, 2023

They Need To Move To Texas -- Or Ask 300,000 Migrants That Will Cross The Southern Border This Next Month -- May 9, 2023

Locator: 44602US.

A recent Pew Research poll (an incredibly unscientific poll from such a respected group):

My reply: "They need to move to Texas."

"Most"of those folks taking that survey were contacted on their smartphones. Most of those smart phones were free or heavily subsidized by their carrier. And those smart phones were more powerful than any computer in 1973. Needs to be fact-checked, but one gets the point.

As for me, I live in a 900-square foot apartment ( (actually I think it's slightly less than that), pay no income tax, and my newest car is a 2012 Honda Civic that I bought new in late 2011. That's my newest car. My oldest car is in perfect shape but because it won't pass the Texas emissions test, I can't get it registered. The "piece" that is needed to correct that problem is no longer available. I maintain the car anyway. It's eighteen years old; vehicles older than 25 years in Texas don't need to pass the emissions test; seven more years to go.

This is my view today, with the temperature forecast to reach a high of 84°F (the high was 95°F yesterday, I believe; I forget). It will stay near 80°F through the midnight hours and I will be out at the pool until then.

My view: 

My wife would agree: our family is worth more to us than material goods, and I'm not sure how that's quantified in a research poll asking me whether my life is "worse" or "better" than it might have been fifty years ago. Medical care alone .... and for seniors, it's practically free.

My wife would probably disagree: I often feel guilty having it as good as I do. If it weren't for the family, I would be happy with fewer material goods but I do need a car to drive Sophia to all her activities. If I didn't have Sophia, I would not have a car.

By the way, that 2012 Honda, with 125,000 miles on it, just passed state inspection. Registered for another year. State registration fee: $74. 

Cost to inspect it, oil change, some type of filter change (it was optional/recommended -- not required) cost $196 including the "contribution" I made at "point of service" to "Boys and Girls Club." 

Wow, what a digression.

I imagine this is what most Americans think America was like fifty years ago. They would be wrong. This was one hundred years ago [2023 - 1923] or thereabouts. Just after the War to End All Wars, and just before the Great Depression, World War II, the Korean War, the Cold War, the Cuban missile crisis, the JohnMartinRobert-tri-assassination, and the unending Middle East wars. Today? I guess the US is watching one regional war from afar. Tell me again life was better fifty years ago.

3 comments:

  1. Hearkening unto to my hero (that being one Charlie Munger), I agree that one is well advised to live beneath one's means. However, I'm wondering... have you taken it to an extreme? Why not diddle away some of Sofia's (and the rest's) inheritance. They'll never notice it. Thus sayeth the 80 year old Grouch~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. In 1500 A.D. you probably would have actually worn a hair shirt. Today, my notion would be to donate more to the many charities that do a lot of good (that could assuage your consciences, eh?) I laud you devotion to your granddaughter and the twin grandsons.
    And if you ever decide to get a dog, don't get a Basenji (unbelievable smart, swift and .... ) Been there and hope you don't. To live again, I'd probably get another. Named her "Rootse" to honor her silent suffering, African heritage and the era....
    While you want for nothing, you have a "patriotic" duty to stimulate the economy... Go Forth and Spend Some More! The Grouch...

    ReplyDelete