Thursday, September 8, 2022

Streaming Wars -- Random Note -- September 8, 2022

Before we get started, talk sports television tomorrow morning is going to be incredible. Because Josh Allen has been incredible tonight in the opening NFL game, the Buffalo Bills vs the Los Angeles Raiders.

Now back to the streaming wars.

It appears the streaming war(s) is/are coming down to Hulu Live vs YouTube TV. My brother-in-law who knows this stuff better than I do went with YouTube TV.

I went with Hulu.

So, I was curious. Google search: streaming wars.

From digitaltrends.com, June 14, 2022, Phil Nickinson: Hulu Live vs YouTube TV. 

The lede:

When it comes to the best streaming services in the U.S., two stand out.

And that makes sense because Hulu With Live TV and YouTube TV are the most popular live TV streaming services in the United States.

How popular, you ask? 

Hulu with Live TV had some 4.1 million paid subscribers as of April 2, 2022. 

YouTube TV — well, we don’t actually know how many subscribers it has. Google last gave an official update of “more than 3 million” in October 2020. But it hasn’t given us any new numbers since then.No matter. 

Both YouTube TV and Hulu With Live TV are great options. They have similar prices, relatively similar plans, and pretty much work the same way. Which, then, is the right one for you? We can help.

Go to the link to see who "wins."

Another review looking at all the streaming options, not just the above two: at sportsnaut.com.

********************************
Original Content

Of all the choices out there, it then appears to come down to Hulu (Disney) vs YouTube TV (Google).

Most interesting: of all the choices out there, only one major player has no original content -- Google's YouTube TV.

From a purely business decision that makes sense. Original content is incredibly expensive and Google shareholders should be happy that Google does not unnecessarily spend money on original content. 

Consumers certainly don't need any more original content, but from my perspective, not providing original content seems to make you nothing more than another Pluto TV. Sure, YouTube TV is a really, really, really, good Pluto TV but without original content, I don't see YouTube TV as a top tier player. 

Hong Kong:Hulu::Portland:YouTube.

********************************
The Whole Enchilada

For me it's hard to beat this "homemade" bundle:

  • Hulu Live
  • Amazon Fire Stick (Amazon Prime Video)
  • Apple TV

I have to give my wife credit for finding/choosing Hulu. It really is awesome.

I added Amazon Prime Video / Amazon Fire Stick -- it seems to be a no brainer.

Apple TV: I seldom watch it but at $4.99 / month, it's a bargain that's not even worth debating.

At the "Investor's" page linked above:

****************************
Amazon Chase Rewards

Speaking of Amazon Prime Video.

Comes "free" with Amazon Prime.

My "main" credit card is the Chase Amazon Prime Visa card. 

I like to think that I only purchase items with my Chase Amazon Prime Visa card that I would purchase no matter what card I was using or whether I paid with cash or a credit card. If that's accurate, then 99% of my CAP Visa card purchases would have been made regardless of how I pay for the purchases.

To date, I've earned, in dollars, more than twice what the subscription for Amazon Prime costs me, if that makes sense.

And, I'm sure, there are even better "cash-back" cards out there, but I'm not complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment