Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Notes From All Over -- November 23, 2021

Apple: temporarily suspends sales in Turkey -- link here --

  • Apple appears to have temporarily halted sales of devices in Turkey as the country's economic crisis deepened on Tuesday morning. The lira dropped 15 percent after Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan staunchly defended recent rate cuts,
  • the currency drop has been telegraphed for the past two weeks;

EVs: are we being played? LOL. From Todd Fernandez:

*******************************
A Wonderful Thanksgiving Week

It's pretty much complete. A few details yet to be finished but in the big scheme of things the "bat cave" is complete. The last "piece" was an "easy chair" and that was brought down / in last night. I've bought new Christmas lights, an assortment of colors and sizes, and as soon as Sophia has time, we will put them up in the "cave." Readers will probably see a lot of photos of the "cave" over the next few years. Sophia says that it feels "cool" and "damp" like a real "bat cave." I did not / do not feel the dampness, but the temperature is exactly perfect. 

The "bat cave" is physically separated from the apartment which really makes it so much more like the real "thing." No one except Sophia and I know what we have, but we will eventually show them. 

This wall still has a lot of white space. I hate hiding office supplies in drawers. I want them out where I can easily see them and have immediate access. 

Everything has a special meaning for me. 

The cloth painting is from Africa. Genuine. Brought back by our younger daughter where she did some missionary work in Uganda. Yes, that Uganda. The fox, a colored pencil drawing by Sophia when she was "remote learning," first grade last year. It was a several week project. The little photograph: the two older granddaughters eleven years ago, I believe, in that big, big park on the north side of Los Angeles where the observatory exists. Enjoying ice cream. Halcyon days. 

The large metal map of the United States. I do not know from where that came, but possibly from the granddaughters' other grandfather. We've picked up little magnetic Monopoly pieces wherever and Sophia uses them to keep track of where members of her extended family lives or where her immediate family is traveling. I haven't kept up with it but looking at it now, it is incredibly accurate. Pretty good for a seven-year old.

*********************************
We're Gonna Live Forever In This Little Bat Cave

I've listened to a dozen covers of this song, but never thought to see who wrote it? At wiki: Bennie Binion, Dennis Hromek, and, yes, Merle Haggard.

I'm Gonna Live Forever, Billy Joe Shaver

5 comments:

  1. I know there has been speculation about Biden dropping out in 2024. But I wondered, have there been any stories about Biden dropping Harris and running another person for VP in 2024?

    Not even sure how that would work. And really despite all the speculation, figure both will stay on the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question. I was going to post a note and then forgot -- in DC an anonymous source on Capitol Hill has alerted local journalists to start studying the constitution on procedures for replacing a VP.

      But having said that, I will be keeping track of the likely contenders at another blogsite; it's still being developed.

      Neither Biden nor Harris will make the ticket; not even sure if either will even run. No one takes Kamala serious, probably not even her staff.

      Right now, my money is on Pete Buttigieg. He (or somebody has done it for him) has checked every square. He even has a presidential first name, "Pete."

      And, seriously, there's no shortage of women running mates that would balance the ticket very, very well. Buttigieg, male from the north, needs a female from a southern state, a big southern state that's about to turn blue. If you can come up with a better name than Wendy Davis let me know.

      A woman politico from Florida is a bridge too far, but not Texas. Texas is a hair breadth away from turning blue. Last big city that is not already purple or blue: Ft Worth. But all the rest are solidly Democrat: San Antonio, Austin, Houston, Dallas.

      Delete
  2. I think the simpler way would be to switch Harris out and put PeteyButt in. He's a smarmy worm, but has a brain. And a pulse. Than Biden can retire on active duty or retire in reality afterwards.

    I really don't see Biden agreeing to drop out in 2024. And there is nothing they can do to push him out. And really despite his flaws almost always better to run an incumbent than drop out for someone new (look at 1968). But I don't even think Harris will get offed. There is just too much business as usual inertia. It's fun to talk about scenarios, but it will be Biden/Harris again.

    I sure as heck hope Trump stays out of it. He's a narcist and not bright. And not a conservative. I like his thumbing nose to the media. But that's about it. He's not even strong at running his own administration--whined on Twitter about people he could fire. I think Youngkin would be a good candidate. I'm sick of Trump and Trumpists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the archives. It will be fascinating to watch.

      Delete
    2. My support for Trump officially ends today. He started "losing me" after January 20, 2021. Many reasons. Tipping point: it's being reported that Trump is meeting with Rittenhouse. As I told the reader who sent me the story: complete waste of time. Stunts like this simply diminishes him. This is worse than Obama's beer summit with a cop and a professor. World leaders simply don't do this. He is no longer a world leader, if he ever was, in hindsight.

      Delete