Monday, February 27, 2017

Self-Ordering Kiosks -- The Next Big Story -- So Yesterday (2013, To Be Exact) -- February 27, 2017

This  is really quite remarkable. One of the top business stories that broke yesterday and continues to have legs today is the story that Wendy's will install self-ordering kiosks at 1,000 locations. Over at the sidebar on the right, I have something called "the next big thing." At that link, you have to look for it, you have to scroll down quite a bit to get to this:
June 15, 2013: kiosk ordering in fast-food restaurants, perhaps in sit-down fancy restaurants; employers don't have to buy health care insurance for iPads.
The link, by the way, takes you to a WSJ op-ed by Trump's first pick for labor secretary, Big Bob's Andy Pudzer. Amazing. Just one more reason why I love to blog. 

I don't know about you, but when I go to McDonald's I order the same thing, every time (occasional exceptions). I can imagine the day when I walk up to a kiosk; the face-recognition technology recognizes me, and automatically brings up my usual order and asks if I want any changes. It may even throw in a few "offers" for a better deal.

By the way, I spoke with a software engineer over the weekend: it turns out facial recognition is going to get better and better with a) artificial intelligence; and, b) quantum computing (which by the way, is a component of AI). 

No comments:

Post a Comment